The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A looming referendum > Comments

A looming referendum : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 1/6/2021

Today's essay is about the proposed amendment to our Constitution to acknowledge the fact that indigenous Australians were here first.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
It is the bush aboriginals that we should be worrying about. The "Johnny come lately" urban ones on the whole are doing all right and don't need any more help than the rest of the community. They are the ones making all the noise. You see them on "The Drum" on the ABC every second night.

No one, particularly city do gooders, will own up to all the damage that alcohol is causing to people in the aboriginal communities in the outback. There are plenty of jobs available for them in the mining and pastoral industries, but they need to be taught some basic skills and trades. Whole villages are becoming dysfunctional, because no one has been taught the skills needed to carry out repairs. People like Noel Pearson are doing all they can but more are needed. The academics like Marcia Langton and company are about as useful as tits on a bull. The answer isn't more money, it's these city imposters who need to get out there and actually do something useful to educate their own mob.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 1 June 2021 11:21:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont.
If there's to be a successful referendum? Then some of the aborigines doing all the talking/ making endless unfounded claims about how long their mob, (three-quarters Irish, Scots or Welsh settlers) have occupied this wide brown land?

I won't concede that some huffing and puffing light-skinned urban activist, has any more rights than any other native-born Australian! And I'm very tired of spineless pollies acquiescing to these postering shite stirrers (bullies) just to win a few electoral seats!

I spent time in orphanages and foster homes, was exposed to and part of the horror stories that are also part of our history. And now live life mostly in a wheelchair.

Do I go around blaming other cultures etc, for the failings and faults of my forbears? No, but I do give credit to those Mates that stood with us in the Boer war, WW1+2, and in Vietnam!

We are in a new war and need to fight it as united and colour blind Aussies!

And so there has to be a referendum, a bill of irrevocable rights, a treaty and a voice in our parliament! And there I'd settle for an indigenous and highly educated elder, as our future governor-general/(Irish model) ceremonial President.

And a truth and reconciliation commission! And can the humbug and the guilt trips for folks not even born yet!

With all that done? Nobody in this wide brown land can have superior rights than any other, based solely on the colour of their skin. because, that my friends, is apartheid!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 1 June 2021 11:49:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are even jackasses now trying to compare aboriginal identifiers with Palestinians in the hard luck story competition for publicity. Anything to stir up trouble and cause division.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 1 June 2021 1:22:13 PM
The prior existence and survival on this land for
tens of thousands of years by the Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander people is not acknowledged
in our constitution. We know that this has resulted
in historic social exclusion and economic disadvantage.

Recognition in the constitution would provide the
basis for an important shift in policy,
and in the community's acceptance of
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's
contribution to our national life.

It would enable us to go beyond our discomfort about
our shared history and move towards a situation that
most Australians would welcome. Which is a country that
can be proud of being home to one of the oldest
living cultures in the world where Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander people have an equal chance
for a long and productive life.

This would be good for all Australians.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 1 June 2021 2:14:26 PM
More divide & conquer of the workers by the ruling, leftist elites.
Posted by imacentristmoderate, Tuesday, 1 June 2021 3:18:58 PM
Just read an article reminding us that most people now claiming to be Aboriginal have more of the descendants of dispossessors in them than they have the dispossessed.

Laughter is probably the best medicine.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 1 June 2021 4:02:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy