The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Held to ransom: Colonial pipeline and the vulnerabilities of critical infrastructure > Comments

Held to ransom: Colonial pipeline and the vulnerabilities of critical infrastructure : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 17/5/2021

A less generous reading of this is that the company never genuinely appreciated those risks, given inadequate backup systems or forking out funds for software with fewer vulnerabilities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The problem here is greed! If all the infrastructure required only human hands at the valves. Yo could put semi-retired operators in cottages connected to old landlines. And operating the system manually.

Very possible if CEO's salaries and director entitlements were comparative with 1930s comparisons!

Cyberware attacks and ransomware, only possible if there's too much reliance on automated systems! Particularly in energy distribution.

Moreover, if the economic paradigm leaned far further toward cooperative capitalism instead of dog eat dog extreme exploitative capitalism with its totally unproductive drone investor body in the mix, even less possible.

While I applaud Automation in manufacturing where the system can be totally enclosed from outside interference inside a single highly integrated facility/site.

If we're to use high-tech solutions? then they need to be connected to quantum computing and opened only with passwords that only the operators can use or know.

I'd tell you how that could be done, but then I'd have to shoot you.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 17 May 2021 10:49:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The best solution is do not connect critical infrastructure to the internet !
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 17 May 2021 8:53:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy