The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christianity in Papua New Guinea may gain national religion status > Comments

Christianity in Papua New Guinea may gain national religion status : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 5/5/2021

The history of successful Christian engagement in Papua New Guinea since the late 19th century is in general a very honourable and proud one.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Interesting article, and I wish the best for our brothers and sisters in PNG.

However it is plain nutty to reason that Christianity should be the state religion so that the stage can give funding to universities that they can reverse the decline of agriculture.

It is hard to imagine the confusion that produced such a line of bankrupt reasoning.
Posted by Cumberland, Wednesday, 5 May 2021 11:37:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is hard to imagine the confusion that produced such a line of bankrupt reasoning.
Cumberland,
That's the crux of most of the problems of the modern world. Tunnel-visioned, saturation educated pseudo-intellectuals dabbling in aspects of life they could never comprehend in a million years !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 May 2021 12:24:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of my most memorable experiences in the islands was because of religion.

The Rabaul Yacht Club had an annual event, the Duke of York’s Ball.
This is actually a bar-b-q in a coconut plantation on a beautiful beach fronting a long narrow bay, on the main island of the Duke of York’s Islands, a small group, about 25 miles from Rabaul.

About 25 yachts carrying friends, & anyone who wanted to go sailed over on Saturday. I had a couple of very British matrons, in full evening dress who had expected something more ball like turn up looking for a lift, but came along anyway.

After a fantastic night of good food, a great singalong lubricated by the yacht club bar & with the night temperature in the area always being 24/25C, most slept on the beach. At 7.00 AM we were awoken to the most glorious singing I have ever heard. Just across the bay, there was a coral block church, & they were singing, I presume hymns, but in their own language, so to us it was just a beautiful sound.

It was one of those totally still tropical mornings, not a breath of air, the yachts looked like they were sitting on a mirror the water was so still. Everyone just sat & listened for the half an hour or so it lasted.

Then it was pack up the gear, I located my passengers, one of whom had acquired shorts & a t-shirt from somewhere, the other still in her full evening finery, & back to town. It was great weekend, but the memorable moment was those fantastic voices drifting across the still waters of the lagoon.

I don't know how much the church was doing for those people, but it sure made them sound fantastic.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 5 May 2021 10:01:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy