The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refriended in defeat: Australia strikes a deal with Facebook > Comments

Refriended in defeat: Australia strikes a deal with Facebook : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 25/2/2021

It has puzzled and alarmed the inventor of the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee for 'breaching a fundamental principle of the web by requiring payment for linking between certain content online'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
CORRECTION - I've now fixed the link properly.

Watch "Juice Media’s" quick video expose about why the Morrison government selflessly attacked Facebook.

Beware excessive swearing weakens its impact a tad http://youtu.be/uqj2z3QaRyU

News Corp appears to benefit most.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 2 March 2021 7:47:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan B,

A flat tax on what? profits, turnover, transactions?

That's yet another unworkable idea that lurks amongst the ignorant.
Posted by shadowminister, Tuesday, 2 March 2021 8:37:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't suppose the "code" considered changes to FB's terms & condtions users must assent to if they wish to use the service.
This stoush reminds me of a dinner conversation a few years back when I was in China. I was informed that the reason the Middle Kingdom doesn't have problems such as violence, harassment, grooming of youngsters etc with social media (eg Google, FB, Instagram etc) is not because China is communist, but because China in the interests of social harmony will not allow certain Big Techs gorillas from the West to operate there.
When one considers the negative impact Big Tech firms cause in the West on folk minding their own business suddenly finding their restaurants trashed online or their legal practice's reputation torn asunder (often anonymously) and that at the extreme, some folk take their own lives (as they can't deal with the trolls etc), one can only wonder if the Chinese in this respect can teach us a thing or two.
After all, when FB un-friended Oz, I did poke my head out of the window and can confirm that the sky did NOT fall.
Posted by Jonathan J. Ariel, Tuesday, 2 March 2021 5:32:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy