The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facebook unfriends Australia: the triumph of epistemic chaos > Comments

Facebook unfriends Australia: the triumph of epistemic chaos : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 23/2/2021

Creepy and ruthless Facebook has again impressed with its steely indifference to civic responsibility, as if a company established by a sociopath could ever be a model of human improvement.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It is a shame we are in the current standoff with Facebook.

Sorry Binoy, I like FB and only laugh at your comparison between FB and the Dutch East India Company and its British equivalent.

How so Binoy?
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 23 February 2021 7:13:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's easy for me to say, "stuff Facebook" because l have never used it and never will. But what about government bullying. There is no reason why efficient, modern companies should subsidise worn out ones that have been going downhill for the simple reason that fewer people are using them; and for that reason, advertisers have moved to where they will be noticed. That's progress that 'progressives' don't seem to be grasping.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 23 February 2021 8:38:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I actually think the new media is progressive.

If you are good enough, and innovative enough, you can still produce quality writing and not blame new media for your demise.

Too many so-called experts associate quality with the old media, when clearly there are other new quality sources emerging, even if they pay far less and tend to be extreme left or right.

and no one forces you to use Facebook, thus the comparison with the past is kind of stupid.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 23 February 2021 9:23:25 AM
I don't know what the fuss is about.
I still get links from family and as far as news is concerned I get
more than I can handle with TV, radio, and news web sites.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 23 February 2021 10:18:55 AM
Yup! While I applaud the new, fake news free, code! I think the only thing that will change the sociopath at the helm, [your description not mine,] is the profit margin/curve and altering it via an unavoidable tax on the rivers of gold produced by the tax-free classifieds!

The only thing that self evidently matters to this monolith is money and the monetisation of content!

Hitting the locally generated revenue stream with an unavoidable 30% flat tax may get more cooperation far, far quicker than anything else, particularly if full cooperative compliance halved the new unavoidable flat tax!

The 1053 tax act needs to be jettisoned in favour of something that cannot be bypassed, while still inherently fair and I contend that it's the above and a parliament that grows a spine!

IF POWER CORRUPTS THEN ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!

Leave it with you.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 23 February 2021 11:31:17 AM
Ruthless corporation?

hardly, it has now compromised with the government to remove its ban.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 23 February 2021 3:55:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy