The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Addressing the threat of pandemics > Comments

Addressing the threat of pandemics : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 22/2/2021

If nothing else coronavirus brings to the fore how poorly we are adapted to dealing with epidemic and pandemic outbreaks of infectious disease.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If you think we do it badly just take a look at how they messed up the Black Death in 1347-51.

But then they didn't have a Jen to ask what to do!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 22 February 2021 11:14:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it remarkable that the people here are so narrow minded that they think they have a right to stop travel? Travel to where? Intercontinental? Around Australia? End of the street?
I understand Chinese Andrews the filthy Victorian sociopath wants to have us all carrying papers and unable to leave our houses without his express permission because he is demonstrably insane, but you lot?
If I understand you we now have to dig slit trenches and hide in them until? I do not know? You gutless, cowardly bullies. I hate people telling me what to do especially when they are as stupid, bigoted and left wing as you lot! Be very careful, any attempt to try this on in the real world could lead to others being made very angry by your silly views and it will not go well for you.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 22 February 2021 12:21:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Alan B.

I must take issue sir, with your gratuitous statement "absolutely unusable in nuclear weapons". Are you loco man?

Rinse your keyboard out with soap and beg mercy on the alter of LEGO.

Its the lack of nuclear weapons potential that has made Thorium a nuclear no-use substance for 76 years.

No bang, no Thorium in extremely expensive nuclear reactors.

Solar power, which harnesses Fusion energy from the Sun, working to Lithium batteries and to pumped/gravity hydro, is the way to B, Alan B.

What's wrong with absolutely nuclear weapons anyway?

Did not nuclear weapons, used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, benefit Japan, the US and Australian servicemen? This was achieved by saving the projected millions of deaths (mainly Japanese) that would have accrued from a conventional invasion of Japan in 1945-47. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Estimated_casualties

THE ACTUAL ARTICLE?

BTW on the actual article, where author says: "What we need is a better international and national surveillance system involving global watch and response to animal and human infections." is a major reason why the WHO was set up.

"The WHO's broad mandate includes advocating for universal healthcare, monitoring public health risks, coordinating responses to health emergencies, and promoting human health and well being. It provides technical assistance to countries, sets international health standards and guidelines, and collects data on global health issues through the World Health Survey." see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization

Massive reform of the WHO, especially by large democracies, with less control of the WHO by China, is an answer.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 22 February 2021 2:05:40 PM
plantagenet,
The Wealth Hoarders Organisation is like all other international Academic yuppie outfits.
Posted by individual, Monday, 22 February 2021 4:28:49 PM
Pete. what is wrong with totally unusable nuclear weapons? Sorry, never have been able to work that one out or justifying the eternal and expensive upgrades!

As for thorium reactors way off in the distant future?

The Chinese have built and installed several operational thorium reactors and installed several in their warships and subs?

The Indonesians are reportedly taking delivery of an operational, double-hulled, floating, 500 MW prototype, around twelve months out?

Just two outstanding problems needed to be licked, the corrosion factor and sequestering the tritium production. And smart given plain old water, a barrier against neutron exchange! [Incidentally, the very reason why the old rods sit in water for as long as it takes for the rads to come down!]

Well, the corrosion prob is addressed by adding a skin of heat applied carbon to all the metal surfaces or just using a different salt mixture or both. The second, done by using tritium absorbing nitrate salt as the heat transference liquid salt.

Tell us this? Do any of your stated preferences produce reliable carn-free dispatchable power 24/7 or unsubsidized power for as little as 1 cent PKWH Or have recorded against any with a lower death toll Per gigawatt-hour than nuclear?

And do you have skin in any of these, stated personal preferences?

I await full disclosure with bated breath, mate.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 22 February 2021 7:44:06 PM
Hi Alan B.

Yes China has some experimental Thorium reactors and may have 2 commercial ones by 2030 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power#China

You've claimed China installed Thorium reactors in several of China's warships and subs before. I asked you for evidence in the form of links to back up your claim. I'm still waiting.

Indonesia has had glacially slow talks (10+ years) about buying a Russian floating nuclear power station. No discernable progress that I've noticed - may a big Russian bribe is expected.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_floating_nuclear_power_station
Note that the Russian floating reactors are convention U235 PWRs.

Alan B.

I suggest you learn to provide links to backup your frequently fanciful nuclear claims. You'd be more convincing if you did.

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 22 February 2021 10:03:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy