The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Google and Facebook should abandon Australian news > Comments

Google and Facebook should abandon Australian news : Comments

By Graham Young, published 5/2/2021

Over the last 20 years I've seen legacy media make the most elementary mistakes which have contributed to the dumbing down of political culture and the hyper -sensationalising and -sexualising of media coverage.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Good on you Graham. You should be advising the government.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 5 February 2021 8:36:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There’s are two aspects here clothed in vagaries, one is the effective influence of the Murdoch press, the other is the latest propensity for Australia to be used as litmus paper.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 5 February 2021 8:38:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I use Facebook to link to key media players to provide me news about issues I am interested in.

Graham is right. FB only provides a short summary and link to actual media source.

There should be research on how the equation works in terms of benefit to each party, rather than more whinging from a media sector that does not really have much readership any more.

If people want to read so-called quality journalism, albeit what is quality anyway given the ignorance of the mainstream media to China for many years, then pay for it
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 5 February 2021 8:43:45 AM
Well argued, Graham. There's a very simple solution. Make it law that any company earning income or profit inside or from Australia has to pay an unavoidable 15% flat tax on that income regardless of where their alleged H.Q's are! As for news theft? Nothing is lost if the alleged news is mostly opinion pieces presented as news. The Murdoch press? In any event, the net tax collected will rise dramatically and those currently paying an honest share will be vastly better off!

As for Google and Facebook? Having them pay a fair tax as applies to all others, would place them in a position they could not argue with on any ground? We can get around the double tax act of 1953 by repealing and replacing it with something else with no loopholes!

And fit for purpose. And allow other governments to tax our nationals under the same criteria, given the way the current law/agreement allows the system to be gamed by the unscrupulous?

Leave Google and Facebook alone providing they pay their fair share of tax and let competition and the market decide who survives and who goes under! If little guys like yourself, Graham, can stand the heat?

I believe the government is disingenuous in its argument? And simply wishes to suppress free speech given some of it is not to their liking? Especially overwhelming, evidence-based, nuclear energy, peer-reviewed scientific facts? TBC.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 5 February 2021 10:39:10 AM
>While it might be legitimate to tax different kinds of companies at different rates and
>book the income to general revenue, it can never be legitimate to tax different
>companies at different rates and book the income to their competitors.

Bt that's not what's being proposed. The news content creators are suppliers not competitors.

Meanwhile Google have made a counterproposal. Unfortunately I don't know what it is because the link that purported to explain it instead linked to a Youtube video Google made about the problem. Some have said it's the only Youtube video you can still watch without seeing an ad first!
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 5 February 2021 10:50:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Google and Facebook should abandon Australian news
I'd be in favour of Australia giving the insanity of Google & facebook advertising a miss along with the insane repetiveness of Australian advertising.
Advertising is an industry that employs & provides a livelihood for many however, advertisers have overstepped the line. It's time to put a stop to the insanity ! By all means advertise your goods & services but there's really no justification/need for such perpetual saturation assaulting us via the Media & entertainment !
Give us a break !!
Posted by individual, Friday, 5 February 2021 11:40:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy