The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Mad Monk strikes: Tony Abbott, taxi rides and Coronavirus despotism > Comments

The Mad Monk strikes: Tony Abbott, taxi rides and Coronavirus despotism : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 29/1/2021

Abbott sees much gloom on the horizon for the 'Australian way of life' under assault by 'virus hysteria and health despotism'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Calling Tony Abbott a Mad Monk, a passe insult only ever used by morons, is a clear indication that this article will be a load of rubbish not worth reading.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 29 January 2021 8:19:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think when someone who is very prominent represents a particular perspective, in Abbott's case a conservative centre-right position on many issues, they are bound to rock the boat when their views are out of touch with the majority, especially in left-leaning forums like the ABC and academic humanities.

To be frank, it s a tough gig being a conservative trying to shape an electorate, an electorate often not listening to such views
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 29 January 2021 8:32:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
out of touch with the majority,
Chris Lewis,
Despite the fact that I'd rather not see an Labor pollies as far as I can see plus the fact that I supported Abbott when he became PM, I must admit he turned out to be a fizzer.
To award a Royal & to stick up for drug dealers is about as out of touch a politician can be !
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 January 2021 8:38:29 AM
ttbn,
Seriously? You're not reading this article because Tony Abbott's nickname is out of fashion as an insult?
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 29 January 2021 8:41:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abbott turned out to be a "fizzer" mainly over his failure to amend the HR Act as promised. Apart from that, he was no better or worse than any Liberal leader since Menzies, and certainly better than the one who replaced him.

Calling him names after he has left politics behind is pissy-pants kindergarten stuff.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 29 January 2021 8:49:57 AM
I think I called Rudd a dud once in an OLO article, and a former academic/journo pointed out I was disrespectful.

I agree with ttbn. Attacking the argument alone always looks better from any analysis, especially from a qualified academic.

I am sorry Mr Rudd.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 29 January 2021 9:03:00 AM
I have always liked the video of Abbott having oral sex with an unpeeled raw onion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqXSPkDbX4
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 29 January 2021 9:53:58 AM
I can't imagine that anyone takes (Mr Rabbit) Rasputin seriously, let alone give oxygen to his ubiquitous utterances? Which ought to be ignored with the contempt such markedly mendacious (mad hatter)commentary deserves!

Poor ikle diddums wost his widdle seat. There there. Go tell Mummy (Liz) and she'll kiss it all better.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 29 January 2021 10:12:00 AM
Chris. Like all on the FAR RIGHT, not just out of touch with the majority, but reality as well?

Mr Rabbit, brings to mind the expression, better the world suspect you are a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt!
Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 29 January 2021 10:21:04 AM
Peter C With the heading including the obnoxious and greatly undeserved term " Mad Monk " this article promised to be utter rubbish, but to say it was utter rubbish is praising it up.

Tony Abbott won his election to be PM in a land-slide by I think at least 13 seats which back-stabbing LINO - Liberal in name only - Turnbull lost all but one seat in the next election.
Posted by PeterC, Friday, 29 January 2021 1:22:24 PM
The warning Tony Abbot gave on the reduction of legal rights was well
timed as it has since, taking note of covirus laws, become the main
plank of the BIG RESET movement out of the Economic Davos movement.
Beware, governments are being hypnotised by this movement because of
the support it is getting from BIG Business, despite its strong left wing birthright.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 29 January 2021 2:01:48 PM
Considering how they manage our tax Dollars they should not object too strongly to being called names. Yes, many of us have got it better than many others around the globe but that's due to the amount of Taxes we pay up front & not so much to economic management by bureaudroids !
To me, a good politician would be one who introduces a National Service & a Flat tax & fines/jails corrupt defence Lawyers & doesn't permit large business to operate here unless they pay appropriate Tax & clamps down on foreign Land ownership !
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 January 2021 2:45:43 PM
Calling him names after he has left politics behind is pissy-pants kindergarten stuff.
ttbn,
Don't forget he's still on a massive payroll, question is for what & is he really deserving ?
I suppose if he's doing anything beneficial to the Nation our Media would not report that anyway.
He's just blending in with the rest until the big handshake ! He is an Oxford bloke I believe so the other educated have to bite their tongue about a fellow educted.
He was a very good Opposition leader.
In a nut shell, he's just one of many on excessive salary & associated benefits.
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 January 2021 9:09:47 PM
I don't get how any former politician gets a tax free pension.

As many of them continue to work, all income should be assessable for tax.

We have one rule for ordinary workers, and another for political elites.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Saturday, 30 January 2021 9:14:16 AM
It stinks to high heaven, Chris, we need a bill of irrevocable rights that include a citizen's initiated referendum so we can jettison some of these clearly unearned undeserved privileges! Sitting on a bench and opposing everything that doesn't fit an illogical ideological mindset, doesn't entitle anyone of these chained around the nation's neck, albatrosses to anything at all! At least not more than the average joe citizen!

If they want to stand on their record of achievements!? How about taking the third wealthiest nation on the planet and a creditor one at that And taking it down to one that's was already mired in debt before the pandemic, with the most unaffordable housing in the developed world and our co-ops and manufacturing almost completely dismantled!

And compounded by all but handing the nation on a platter to China as its, poor white trash, southern state?

Tony's opinions are his own and he is entitled to hold and voice them and should be considered and given whatever merit they deserve!

And maybe as relevant and noteworthy as those held by a hobo, sleeping rough? Whose views are as important than that of your average pom and ex-polly!

Who doesn't have very much of a visionary record of achievement to stand on, other than he was and remains out of step with the moderate majority! And was tossed out for it!

In his mind, he is a VIP! And a view shared by a pitiful few!?

Tony, we said goodbye already! You have a new life working for blundering Boris! Suck it up, it's a lot better than you genuinely deserve.
Alan B.

I
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 30 January 2021 11:16:59 AM
Chris Lewis,

We should make them live in Burwood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxIYSpUIdPI

Better them than me.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 30 January 2021 11:41:47 AM
If we had a National Service which would show young people the way to think about our collective future, things would improve to no end.
One just has to look at Job Keeper & how some are exploiting it. They should have to go to jail alongside some of the bureaucrats who let it all happen.
A National Service Culture/mentality would do away with much of the corruption that is gradually bringing this nation to its knees !
Why so many people are against it is an indicator of how many corrupt people there are, luckily more are for a NS than against & that's why the corrupt don't want to risk a vote for it !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 30 January 2021 4:04:58 PM
individual,

Here's the place to start looking for your national service conscripts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxIYSpUIdPI

Honestly, do you really think they will go into battle against China?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 30 January 2021 4:53:05 PM
Here's the place to start looking for your national service conscripts:
Mr Opinion,
No need, they already have more discipline than the average Australian yobbo ! It's the Australian oxygen thieves such as yourself who need exposure to discipline & respect & responsibility !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 31 January 2021 7:19:24 AM
individual,

Here's another conscript hunting ground for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgCyxBveiU
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 31 January 2021 9:02:19 AM
I agree with the idea of national service. But not for the lucky ballot winner but all able-bodied men and women. The men in their camp/training facilities. The women in theirs. And not trained as soldiers, but technicians, dentists, practitioner nurses, electricians, chippies, plumbers, etc-etc.

So they can leave after their two years as work-ready and able to work as part of a productive team. And where they could all receive their shots, regardless of their views on vaccination.

And educated on all the reasons why democracy was a superior system and worth fighting for! Along with ith truth and justice! And given that paradigm, all the many reasons the current administration needs to be removed at the next general ballot!

Yes, I did say was! And yes, I didn't say is! Because it's hard to see it in our current system and "elected" representatives/corporation controlled puppets!?

Get those borders open! And worry about the collateral damage later, always providing we and ours are not part of it! Then by God Sir, you'll see more action in a day than the last century! Nuclear energy Sir? Over my dead body Sir!

Yes, it's ok, just take a few pills to suppress the symptoms and keep working! You've got to, to put bread on the table! Granny!? She's sick? The old girl is a tough old bird, don't worry she's been sick before. Funeral? Who died? Granny? Like, we need that expense right now!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 31 January 2021 9:44:44 AM
Alan B.

You're living in a dreamworld if you think national service is viable in an Asianized Australia.

You would be asking people to be prepared to kill people from their own ancestral homeland.

It would be like asking a Bogan Australian to be prepared to kill someone from London or Birmingham.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 31 January 2021 10:38:42 AM
We should let the great Arts guru speak to him or her self, and not respond now our amusement is over unless there is something useful to respond to.

He or she undermines the potential of the OLO forum to have serious debate between centre-left and centre-right views and all other perspectives.

I am all for free speech, but let the great Arts guru see if her or she can raise any points of substance rather than stupid and inaccurate comments.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 31 January 2021 11:52:35 AM
... but technicians, dentists, practitioner nurses, electricians, chippies, plumbers, etc-etc.
Alan B,
Precisely ! I can just see the juvenile crime rate dropping to near Zero because instead of milling around the streets at night, the bored ones will be slumbering away in camps in the Bush or wherever they're engaged in, away from dysfunctional families.
The greatest benefit out of a NS scheme is of course the much healthier mentality they will walk into adulthood with, courtesy having been exposed & guided by others with a healthy mentality !
Then there'd be the realisation & respect for the fact that two years spent in NS is an incredibly small price to pay for a life in a safe & stable Nation !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 31 January 2021 1:43:20 PM
individual,

And who are you conscripting people to fight against?

Surely you're not going to say the Chinese? I mean, that is just being so racist!

There are a lot of Chinese in Australia who will be upset to hear you say that.

Or are you saying that yours will be the Army of Peace with conscripts who have been trained not to kill? instead they will be dentists and lawyers and engineers and firemen and surgeons and laborers and nurses etc. People on a mission from God.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 31 January 2021 2:11:10 PM
And who are you conscripting people to fight against?
Mr Opinion aka Oxy-Moron,
First of all no-one would be conscripted for Military service, get that into your malleable skull !
A National Service is to instil a sense of responsibility (look it up on Google), a sense of belonging & a sense of respect. Above all it'd build on education with common sense, something you et al miss out on ! You'd become employable instead of being dumbed down to make yourself unemployable with idiotic tatoos, studs & even more idiotic body art etc.
A NS would turn the likes of you into normal functioning & responsible people !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 31 January 2021 4:24:59 PM
Named by the AMA as the "worst Health Minister ever"
Lost the top job
Lost his own electorate he was so out of touch

Why on earth would anyone be taking anything this Mad Monk has to say seriously?
Posted by Aries54, Sunday, 31 January 2021 4:29:03 PM
individual,

Did you do National Service?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 31 January 2021 5:00:06 PM
Did you do National Service?
Mr Opinion,
I was not eligible in the old country & not eligible in the new one but I was fortunate enough to be brought up by people in a place where NS is part of growing up so, I benefitted indirectly from the concept & I'm glad & grateful it rubbed off on me.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 31 January 2021 7:25:34 PM
Tony Abbott, like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving...and won't go away.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Monday, 1 February 2021 4:32:23 PM
individual,

On the question of national service:

It's alright for you not to do it, but not for others.

It's alright for you not to go to war, but not for others.

It's alright for you not to get shot at, but not for others.

Talk about a hypocrite!

With you, it seems to be a case of do what I say, not what I do.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 2 February 2021 3:17:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy