The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > China aims to dominate the world > Comments

China aims to dominate the world : Comments

By Sudhanshu Tripathi, published 18/1/2021

A view from India - not only did China unleash the virus, it is joining with Islamists to unseat the US and must be stopped

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Whatever you reckon Shanghai Serpent.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 6:17:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MR O, while I share concern about the rise of the CCP, I think Bronwyn does have points that cannot be ignored.

Yes, we can defend liberal democracy, and the importance of liberalism, but I think criticism of the US has to force us to rise to a higher level within our arguments.

There is a thread by ttbn that criticizes the humanities. There is indeed a need for professional scholars to lift their game.

I certainly will aim to try to lift my own game (as an unpaid student of politics) in the next few months when I offer my contributions to OLO when talking about the threat of China from a western perspective.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 20 January 2021 8:53:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Bronwyn,

Hmmmm ...... China is militarising the Scarborough Shoals, barely 120 miles from Manila.

It is pushing Vietnam out of the Paracel Islands to monopolise the oil deposits there.

It is interfering with Indonesian fishing boats way down in the Riau Islands, almost to Singapore.

It is challenging South Korea and Japan for control of islands up that way.

It is pushing Indian troops out of the Aksai Chin, west of Tibet.

And is militarising shoals in the South Seas, a long way from China.

Not to mention constantly provoking Taiwan by flying within its air space.

Or its oppression of the Uighur and other ethnic groups in Xinjiang.

Sorry :(

Of course, you won't hear anything about this from Misop as a Chinese agent provocateur and troll.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Wednesday, 20 January 2021 9:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foul-Mouth

And while you're at it tell her about how China buys up other countries' assets and transmigrates its nationals to those other countries in large numbers with the aim of creating pro-China enclaves that will serve the ancestral homeland when called upon to do so.

We have been witnessing this in Australia over the past several decades.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 20 January 2021 2:28:12 PM
Yes, Joe, a list like this can be used to paint China as an aggressor, I agree, but in reality the situation is far less clear-cut than you present it to be. The islands and shoals you’ve referred to are all disputed territories and very few if any have clear evidence of ownership.

And besides, as I’ve already pointed out several times, China is responding to aggression: it has not initiated it. The US announced its Pivot to Asia at the end of 2011 and since then has aggressively conducted regular and provocative air and naval patrols in the area and encouraged other navies to join it in its euphemistically-named Freedom of Navigation exercises. China has experienced the ravages of Western imperialism over many centuries. It has witnessed US interference in numerous nations around the world over the last seven decades and the plundering and exploitation of their resources. The US has surrounded China with hundreds of military bases. China knows exactly what the US is capable of and while I don’t agree with militarisation anywhere, I can understand why China is building up its military defences in the South China Sea. America is gunning for China and China is defending itself. Painting China as the aggressor is simplistic and wrong. Vietnam and Taiwan have also militarised islands in the region and yet this is being completely ignored by the US.

When it comes to both Hong Kong and Taiwan, the US is deliberately undermining both of their previously stable relationships with China. It’s pouring huge amounts of money into stirring up unrest in both places, purely to provoke China. So again, China’s actions in regard to both Hong Kong and Taiwwan are defensive, not offensive. They would not be occurring, if it hadn’t been for US provocation in the first place.
'
TBC ...
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 21 January 2021 12:11:26 AM
Continued ...

And finally, regarding the Uygurs, again the situation is much more complex and much less horrific than the Western mainstream media paint it to be. There is certainly no ‘genocide’ as Mike Pompeo claimed today. The Uygurs have presented a very real terrorist threat to China, which it is trying to deal with as best it can. The US has no qualms; it just bombs its perceived terrorist threats. China doesn’t. It has quite lawfully and properly set up vocational education and training centres. It’s released many White Papers on its counter-terrorism and de-radicalization efforts and has been completely open about its aims and its progress. There has been much misinformation circulated about Xinjiang. It has all stemmed from a couple of pathetically small and unrepresentative studies funded by US Intelligence agencies and regurgitated without corroboration in the NY Times and Washington Post.

I know you will be skeptical of many or most of my arguments. Hopefully though, at least some of them might lead you to do some checking and some independent reading and to gradually develop a deeper and more realistic understanding of the situation.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 21 January 2021 12:29:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy