The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Think tankers against China: the Australian Strategic Policy Institute > Comments

Think tankers against China: the Australian Strategic Policy Institute : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 9/12/2020

This is not to say that the Victoria-BRI deal is not problematic. It was made with China's National Development and Reform Commission, the entity responsible for the 'social credit' system.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
This is the least convincing article that I have read in many a moon .
Posted by Aspley, Thursday, 10 December 2020 2:58:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
wow, Binoy reckons China is not our foe. I assume he means the CCP.

Strange comment. Please elaborate Binoy.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 11 December 2020 12:39:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn,

ran out of posts on 'Australia can’t afford to bite its tongue on China'.

I have to say, I like your response. Very thorough and provides much food for thought.

And, I agree that the West has done many bad things.

However, my biggest concern with the CCP is not the military.

My primary concern is the way an unaccountable CCP can use its economic might to deliver much greater economic might, at the expense of other players.

I defend liberal democracy and the ability of such a system to learn and address past wrongs.

I am hoping the Biden Presidency will deliver.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 13 December 2020 12:54:01 PM
<< My primary concern is the way an unaccountable CCP can use its economic might to deliver much greater economic might, at the expense of other players. >>
I agree, this could be a concern, but it's exactly what imperialist Britain did and more recently the US. It's the nature of unbridled capitalism that a few get rich on the backs of others.
The West has contributed to China's economic ascendancy. Our corporately-controlled governments have championed globalisation so production costs could be outsourced to countries with weak labor and environmental safeguards. Our love affair with cheap consumables has helped create the economic powerhouse which is today's China. It's a bit late to now start complaining when it uses its comparative strength to its own advantage, which is of course exactly what Western governments always do when it suits them.
China's Belt and Road initiative has the potential to deliver benefits to many struggling countries that the West has never really tried to assist. China has already forgiven debts and while countries in the West are focused on shoring up their own vaccine supplies China has provided free Covid assistance to many nations around the globe.
The characterisation that the West is good and China is bad is simplistic and wrong. There is good and bad to be found in both.
It's good to see some nuance from you! Doubt I'll ever see it in Mr Opinionated and most of the other regular voices on this site!
Posted by Bronwyn, Tuesday, 15 December 2020 12:12:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy