The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How 'progressive' courts are ignoring individual responsibility > Comments

How 'progressive' courts are ignoring individual responsibility : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 21/8/2020

It seems to me that the judge has an exaggerated view of the extent to which the college could control a bunch of drunken young adults.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Ozzie says:

Demon Alcohol:
(And in a Catholic School too, no shame)!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPp90i3T5A

I'm sick and tired of your excuses
Can't deal with living anymore
I'll give you reasons to continue
While you lie writing on the floor
I'll wash away your lies
And have you hypnotized
There'll be no compromise today
I'll share your life of shame
I think you know my name
I'll introduce myself today
I'm the demon alcohol
Demon alcohol
I'll get you
If you could deal with your reflection
I'm sure you'd see into my eyes
There'll be no need for resurrection
Let's drink to people of the lies
Although that one's too much
You know ten's not enough
There'll be no compromise today
I'll watch you lose control
Consume your very soul
I'll introduce myself today
I'm the demon alcohol
Demon alcohol
Ha ha
Demon alcohol
Demon alcohol, let's party
I'm sick and tired of resolutions…

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 21 August 2020 5:00:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article has raised more than one intriguing question, the most glaring of which is the (apparent) official dismissal of a conviction of rape against the accused NT.
It seems the booty of half a million dollars as a reward for working the system, does not require that most basic necessity.

So we can assume that rape can morph into sexual assault, (still no conviction though), for convenience. How bazaar this all is.

Another question is, who "actually" coughs up the prize money. I would assume that will not be the college, since one would anticipate as a natural flow of events, that would land at the feet of an insurance company covering public liability.

Another question would flow from the obvious injustice of it all; if the college is deemed legally responsible for any ( I would assume), illegal misconduct on its property, why would not the local council be similarly responsible for detrimental outcomes of criminal conduct on its streets of the town?
Blame falling onto the council, in a similar case occurring in a back alley behind a pub on any Friday night.

All too stupid for words, but how does it get to this situation? laws are made at a point a long way above the majority who suffer the consequences, that is another obvious outcome.

A great article.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 22 August 2020 7:01:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DISAGREE! There has to be a code of acceptable institutional behaviour that once breached sees your expulsion! End of story!

After all, we are talking about very young very immature adults and the LEGAL drinking age! We should have raised the age of consciption instead!

If the code of acceptable institutional behaviour is breached in primary or secondary education the school would be obliged to act and assume responsibility for those in their charge!

One has to note the very different pay scales of (down at heel) principals and (millionaaire) vice-chancellors! And with those very different pay grades, very diffrent levels of assumed responsibility! And tertiary campuses should be dry! If only for the sake of those there to get a genuine education!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 23 August 2020 11:57:52 AM
How often has one seen events where the females drink free? Just to ensure that the event is well frequented?

And how many times has one heard of drinks being spiked by the usual date rape offenders, who seem to think this is acceptable?

And when such cases do make to court, how often is the young Lady's character assassinated, in blame the victim defence by sleazy disrupable, less than moral, Lawyers?

And given the young lady seems unable to recollect the event? Seems highly likely her drink was spiked with Rohypnol? Which would be a very plausible explanation for what seems to have transpired?

Somebody needs to held to account (The bloke/the venue) and damages awarded, plus a criminal conviction imposed for a drug-assisted date rape! Even if the sentence is suspended. Given what a criminal conviction would mean for subsequent career choices/availability!?

I find the recorded phone conversation and subsequent denial by the perpetrator, very compelling! Very compelling indeed! And too compelling to dismiss!

Justice must not be limited to those with the deepest pockets!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 23 August 2020 12:38:58 PM
Alan,

You have missed the point. While I agree with you that the college should hold students responsible for their behaviour, holding the college responsible for the drunken antics of students off-campus is simply ridiculous.
Posted by shadowminister, Friday, 11 September 2020 5:25:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy