The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Has consumer capitalism displaced faith? > Comments

Has consumer capitalism displaced faith? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 17/8/2020

When we turned away from the enchantment of Christianity, we did not discover a disenchanted world, but we looked for new forms of enchantment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The triune god in 3 parts - a Swiss army knife kind of god. The difference is that the Swiss army knife exists, is useful and has more parts.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 11:59:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f,

<<The triune god in 3 parts - a Swiss army knife kind of god. The difference is that the Swiss army knife exists, is useful and has more parts.>>

Instead of dumping your presuppositions on us, why don't you engage in a useful discussion of the topic - including the nature of God? 'Without faith it is impossible to please God. Those who come to God must believe that he exists. And they must believe that he rewards those who look to him' (Hebrews 11:6), http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+11%3A6&version=NIRV
Posted by OzSpen, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 12:45:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear OzSpen,

Aren't you dumping your presuppositions on us? The silliness of a virgin having a baby, the silliness of a god in three parts, the silliness of life after death along with a host of other silliness exist in Christianity. Other religion have their own nonsense. With the rise of the secular state you are free to believe and express all that nonsense. However, you are no longer free to torture or burn at the stake people who label that nonsense for what it is.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 2:30:53 PM
Dear OzSpen,

You wrote "...why don't you engage in a useful discussion of the topic - including the nature of God? 'Without faith it is impossible to please God. Those who come to God must believe that he exists. And they must believe that he rewards those who look to him' (Hebrews 11:6), http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+11%3A6&version=NIRV"

Why should I engage in a discussion that involves accepting your beliefs? I don't expect you to accept my worldview. How can I discuss the nature of God when I don't think God exists? Why accept your religion when there are so many other religions? Why accept any religion? The Muslims have the Koran. The Jews have an approximation to the Christian Bible without the New Testament. The Buddhists have the Tripitaka. The Hindus have the Upanishads. You quote the Bible you believe. Why believe in your Bible rather than the Koran, the Jewish Bible, the Tripitaka or the Upanishads? You probably have your religious beliefs because those were the beliefs of your parents. If your parents had other religious beliefs you probably would have those religious beliefs. I really don't think we can have a useful discussion.

The topic is "Has consumer capitalism displaced faith?" In a previous post I wrote "To counter mindless consumerism we can realise that we feel better and last longer by adopting a policy of moderation and limiting our wants to our needs." That is a useful discussion of the topic, but not of the nonsense you want to discuss. The topic was not the Nature of God.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 3:47:00 PM
Now under atheism we are living under delusion and totally irrational thinkers. From the global warming fraud to the idiotic lock down the healthy response dictated by corrupt organisations like the who. We are seeing the idiotic fruit of denying our Creator which has led to denying biology. Not even a baby born with a penis is now considered male. We murder the unborn like never before and virtue signal as if the new breed of corrupt professors, pollies and lying liberal media had any morals at all. Yep the fruit of the absolute stupidity of denying the obvious ( our Creator) is clear to see and yet all god deniers can do is dig in on their foolishness.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 4:05:00 PM
david f,

<<Aren't you dumping your presuppositions on us? The silliness of a virgin having a baby, the silliness of a god in three parts, the silliness of life after death along with a host of other silliness exist in Christianity. Other religion have their own nonsense.>>

Not once did I say anything about a virgin birth, the Trinity, life after death, etc. But how have you responded?

By labelling them as 'silliness', you have committed the Ad Hominem (Guilt by Association) logical fallacy by which you attacked the company I keep - calling it silliness- in 'an attempt to discredit them or render them "guilty", making assumptions about a person's character based on outside influences', http://quizlet.com/2235710/common-fallacies-flash-cards/

You have engaged in erroneous reasoning. Why must you do this, instead of dealing with the issues at hand?
Posted by OzSpen, Tuesday, 18 August 2020 7:49:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy