The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is this the secret to leadership? > Comments

Is this the secret to leadership? : Comments

By Chris Golis, published 6/7/2020

The article argues that humility is the secret to leadership by first quoting Socrates and his famous observation that the wisest people are the first to admit how little they really know.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It's not too often I'll consider an article worthy of 9 stars out of 10, but the linked BBC article 'Is this the secret of smart leadership?' made that cut.
Many thanks for sharing.

The authors piece was good too, I enjoyed the information about Margaret Thatcher.
I think Angela Merkel herself has reflected upon some of the decisions she made with regret, in the same way you described Margaret Thatcher as having done.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 6 July 2020 8:13:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The pea and thimble is at it again.

Conflating the article heading as a leadership topic, which very early on diverts into a full on ideological rant on climate change, is sad.

More in keeping of leadership examples would be Winston Churchill not Margaret Thatcher.
Churchill was actually a war hero and a fearless and intelligent leader with a track record of selfless sacrifice.

Hitler was ideologically driven, as was Thatcher. The only difference between those two in my mind, is the gender question.

A good leader by Churchill standards has a social conscience!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 6 July 2020 9:11:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The secret to political leadership is to fight dirty and lie a lot.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 6 July 2020 9:37:21 AM
Chris, many years ago I got great benefit from a book of yours on start-ups, venture capital, innovation et al, which I passed on to my daughter, but last heard of you a long time ago. Good to see that you are stil providing sage and relevant advice.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 6 July 2020 10:19:10 AM
Leaders are born not made. Generally have egos that are a danger to shipping and know they're right and able to persuade with logics rites, their case. Moreover don't suffer fools like the Author gladly, who seems to think leaders are strongmen who compel fellowship?

Leadership is not found in people (power junkies) who crave power For its own sake, would be the first point.

Real leaders don't want to lead, is the second. and are able to change their minds when the evidence is compelling. The third!

Cannot be bought and are possessed of inherent honesty and inviolate integrity!

Look to serve not to rule but persuade with the power of irrefutable logic!

Always put the national interest ahead of rank personal interest, sullied politics and the party machine!

Einstein was like many great minds (Greta) an autistic, i.e., a high functioning Aspergers.

Menzies was a Leader as were Chiefly and Curtain. When Chiefly died Menzies wept! When Menzies left politics after a lifetime of serving, he didn't even own a house!

The Parliament passed the hat around and bought him one, that's how much respect he commanded there an with the average joe!

I today's parliaments there are no real leaders! And so identified by the total lack of real compassion and an inherent bias! And further identified when to a generic man they turn their collective backs on the best solutions for the national and economic interest, in servitude to powerful vested interests and the curse of coal/a permanent kowtow to China and for a few lousy dollars?

Turned their collective backs on green energy because it would've killed coal and here I refer to thorium. And prize-winning investigative journalist and science writer, Richard Martin. The author of, Thorium, Super fuel, subtitled, green energy!

I get that the author doesn't like Malcolm, or green energy, because of the curse of coal and or, the permanent Kowtow to China or rather it's communist leadership?
Alan B
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 6 July 2020 10:57:48 AM
A good leader by Churchill standards has a social conscience!
diver dan,
I wonder if he'd think the same way if he saw the situation today ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 6 July 2020 11:58:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy