The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What it meant for AFL players to ‘take a knee’ this weekend > Comments

What it meant for AFL players to ‘take a knee’ this weekend : Comments

By Michael Viljoen, published 16/6/2020

Protests are, by definition, risky. The aim of a protest is to draw attention to injustice. You’re wanting to challenge the status-quo, to upset the apple-cart.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
What it meant is that the players are a cowardly lot. Not a single one of them remained upright, too frightened to offend anyone. They should go to America and play gridiron if they are going to be that pathetic. It would be interesting to know what the spectators thought of the silly, wet girls. I don't remember ever having used the hackneyed expression, 'UnAustralian', but I will in this case. BLM is a con, no matter where it is hauled out, and it certainly has no application in our country.

The hypocrisy of the Australian Left is appalling. Damning America on the one hand, but slavishly copying all of its meaningless silliness on the other.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 8:57:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
virtue signalling has become a sign of hypocrisy and cowardice these days. Bowing one's knee does more harm than good to black communities, It just stops them from having to look at facts instead of false narrative. Black coloured people are far more likely to be murdered, receive child abuse, raped and suffer domestic violence than whites. The obvious factor than the lying media leave out is that it almost always blacks committing the offenses. In the US far more whites are murdered by blacks than vice versa.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 9:09:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd have thought our Govt & Opposition would legislate against such intimidation compliance. It's undermining our values & rights !
If people want to help other people then they should go & live with them & help them get on the right track. Undermining yourself & your fellow citizens to give the one who wants to see your demise is about as stupid as stupid can be !
Is that the result of our billions thrown at Education ? Sack the bloody lot & start anew !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 9:32:48 AM
No individual, but it is the result of the radical feminist take over of the education system.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 10:12:04 AM
I think the author doth protest too much.

In previous articles he had written;

“Standing on the wing at Kardinia Park, Dad was primed to yell encouragement for the Geelong Hoops. However, when the Carlton team ran out with a little number “5” whose skin was much darker than Dad’s, he knew he had found a team of fairness and equity. First year player, Syd Jackson, didn’t kick any goals but Jezza kicked five, and from that day our blood bled Navy Blue.”

And;

“Goodes is correct to say that education is the key.”

The symbolism of the players taking a knee in support of not only the movement in the US but also the focus on the plight of indigenous Australians is both powerful and motivating a wider conversation.

I have spoken to quite a few people who were perplexed by it and taken the opportunity to tell of the insanely high incarceration rates of indigenous people in the NT and WA.

It was both potent and welcomed.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 10:39:11 AM
Frankly, I found it embarrassing.
It is an admission of sin and asking for forgiveness.
I was surprised the crowd didn't boo.
Perhaps the mics were turned off, just in case.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 16 June 2020 10:53:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy