The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unleashing the White Australia virus > Comments

Unleashing the White Australia virus : Comments

By Chek Ling, published 22/5/2020

It is such a shame that the PM and our Foreign Minister felt the need to goad China.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
We are a 'diverse' nation only because the White Australia policy was dropped. That's very relevant. Diversity is not an asset in and of itself.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 22 May 2020 2:12:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i am glad it was dropped, stuff of neanderthals
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 22 May 2020 2:38:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The White Australia Policy had it roots in international politics and European especially British colonialism.

It was maintained after WW2 in the face of decolonialisation under the UN Charter and the purported threat of invasion from another Asian power and of course as a consequence of the West's attempt to contain Communism viz Korea and Vietnam.

It was a lot more than just an act of racial discrimination.

For example, I don't like the Chinese race because I see China as a threat to our freedom and way of life. Does that make me a racist, an isolationist-protectionist, or a democratic freedom fighter?

There are many sides to this coin.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 22 May 2020 3:00:50 PM
Clearly, when you say you don't like the Chinese race, rather than blame the CCP, i believe you would be saying a racist statement.

I despite the CCP, but recognise that many Chinese are good people, including the ones living in Hong Kong which are fighting for democracy and also despise the CCP.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 22 May 2020 3:22:13 PM
Misopinionated,

"For example, I don't like the Chinese race because I see China as a threat to our freedom and way of life. Does that make me a racist, an isolationist-protectionist, or a democratic freedom fighter?"

Well, actually, a racist, yes. Do you actually know any Chinese ? Australian-born Chinese ? Chinese born in south-east Asian countries ? In Taiwan ?

When you occasionally and cautiously venture out into the street, can you distinguish between Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipina/Filipino/Burmese, Uighur, Hazara, Central Asian ? Even Polynesian ? I can't, and living in Darwin and NZ, I've known Australian-Chinese since the fifties, Polynesians since the sixties, Vietnamese since the eighties, etc.

In Darwin, about 1960, when the salvage companies were starting to cut up and remove the sunken ships in the harbour, ironically Japanese companies, I indelicately asked my best mate (Australian-born, Chinese, now deceased), a champion baseball pitcher, sprinter, long-jumper, if he could tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese. No, he couldn't, he said. Like a real Australian :) Such a lovely bloke, I miss him so much. He used to stay with us after we came down to Adelaide. He sort of taught me to drive.

No, Ttbn, I would be so bored sh!tless living in a world with nobody else but people like me. I revel in learning something different and unexpected. I used to sell coffee and tea supplies at the Sunday markets at Gepps Cross; my daughter bought me some Yerba Mate (from Argentina) so I put it out for sale the next week. Lo and behold, a young Argentinian couple strolled past and bought it. I stocked up, but nobody bought it ever afterwards. I recall a young Muslim couple going past, arguing. The bloke walked off, and the young woman, exasperated, exclaimed, "Allah !" The world is fascinating !

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 22 May 2020 4:21:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nope, don't like it.
An example of pro-Chinese Aussie-Marxist-educated intellectual armed with cherry-picked facts to make themselves seem smart, but who fail completely on the level of common sense.

Chinese-Australian named 'Chek Ling' uses the term 'White Australia Virus' and then tries to scold me about racism and what my government can and cant do or say.

Screw you Chek Ling.

Maybe you've got your nose out of joint with a term other Aussies use 'China-virus', and as a result want to create a little controversy by using the headline 'White Australia Virus' to draw attention to your crappy article and account for hurt feelings.
2 wrongs don't make a right you childish hypocrite.

Eeven uses an argument about changing headlines (Donald Horne "Australia for the White Man") to push this leftist-brainwashed virtue-signalling crapfest.
You should change YOUR headline mate.

Here's something they obviously didn't teach you at University.
They didn't teach you this because it suits their purposes for you to be a stupid muppet.

Democracy means we don't just have the option of criticising our own governments. No.
It doesn't just mean we have a right to criticise our own governments. No.
Under Democracy ITS ESSENTIAL that we criticise the actions of our governments and leaders, and remove them when their not acting in our best interests.
That's how it works, idiot.

I'm sorry if you need to act like a Chinese 5th column because your family back home maybe thrown in internment camps if you say the wrong thing.

We have every right to want answers about the origins of COVID-19.
For the record, I've been unwilling to blame China without evidence.
I think there's just as much chance the US was culpable.
They were contracting bio-research out to China.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 22 May 2020 5:31:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All