The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A forgotten enemy: pandemics of the past > Comments

A forgotten enemy: pandemics of the past : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 4/5/2020

How quickly we forget the past and how little we seem to have learnt from major encounters with infectious disease.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I haven't forgotten that the US killed 50 million with the Spanish Flu.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 6:41:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR we have suffered less than one hundred deaths in Australia and I venture to suggest that is a statistical non event. For that we have debt stretching out beyond my lifetime for absolutely no discernible benefit for our country. The coming depression will really test our idiot leaders and us.
I would certainly think we could see a real resurgence next month when winter starts but flu pandemics in 1957 and 1968 did not result in any lock downs.
Giving some pompous, idiot doctor a title of Chief Medical Officer and letting him shut us down has now been shown to be the height of folly. Welcome to Victoria the state of confusion and debt.
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 7:24:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the same ones creating the panic and upheaval are the same mob working on the vaccine! Enough people signed up for the app so you can go to the footy? Good little children who are happy to support little kids and adults throwing tantrums to shut down cities and taking time of school in the name of climate change but now so quick to comply with those who have panicked societies.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 9:18:48 AM
Yes J B. I can only thank the lord that fools have no place in the formulation of public policy!

As for the recovery?

We can have one that'll knock your socks off, as a very robust recovery and entirely independent of the actions and Broken record BS of other alleged leaders!

Cannot be that preferred by the robber barons/rogue exploitive employers/extreme capitalists protecting their privileges/profits above all else! And the devil take the hindmost!

Our leaders have to take a moment aand ask themselves, what will I be remembered for and judged for, for my actions and alleged loyalties and Christian integrity coming out of the start of the beginning!?

Or to shore up the political partisan position or did those considerations and the usual BS, business as usual and perverse puppet loyalties prevail?

Did I leave no stone unturned, no former idealogy unjettisoned as we moved mountains to ensure not just a recovery but an explosion of cooperative commercial enterprise!

Because that's is what's required to get this economy up off of the canvas and delivering the knockout blow during the championship round.

There could be, even now, as much as a trillion lazy dollars out there looking for a guaranteed safe harbour and we could provide one if we were to roll out, self-terminating, tax-free, guaranteed returns, thirty-year investment bonds and use that money to get SMR, MSR, thorium and nuclear waste burning technology up and running and powering an economy with no equal.

Start with the world's fastest rapid rail (VLT) along our eastern seaboard and wait for the economy to jump-start in every direction without the usual naysayers' limitations!

We have to understand the new industries will be co-ops and mostly fully automated! And means a serious brake on migration to all but force it into being. And assisted with real tax reform, manifesting as a single tax at an unavoidable 15% flat, above a more generous tax-free threshold!

Put power in the mix at just 3 cent PKWH and just wait to be killed in the rush to invest and relocate!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 5 May 2020 11:16:18 AM
Dear JBowyer,

You write;

"I would certainly think we could see a real resurgence next month when winter starts but flu pandemics in 1957 and 1968 did not result in any lock downs."

That is because there was a vaccine developed which curbed the infections.

"Hilleman worked under the public radar yet touched most people’s lives. He was chief of respiratory diseases at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research when a new H2N2 type of influenza, termed the Asian flu, hit in 1957—eventually causing more than 1 million deaths worldwide and killing an estimated 70,000 to 116,000 in the U.S. The number of American deaths could have reached 1 million, public health experts estimated, without the quick arrival of 40 million doses of vaccine that fall. With a reputation for emphasizing safety and reducing vaccine side effects, Hilleman nonetheless led that vaccine’s rollout by ignoring anyone who might slow him down, including federal regulators."
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-man-who-beat-the-1957-flu-pandemic/

We do not have a vaccine yet for Covid19.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 2:08:34 PM
JB,

Dumb-dumb: " .... we have suffered less than one hundred deaths in Australia ..... " precisely because Morrison ordered lock-downs early. If he hadn't, we wouldn't be much different from the basket-cases like Sweden or the US or Brasil - we would have had maybe five thousand deaths by now.

But no, fewer than one hundred so far. Thanks, Mr Morrison. Thank god you didn't take any notice of that half-wit in the US and advise us all to shine a strong light up our arses, and drink disinfectant.

Now we can get back to business: will the Yanks be able to really say that befoe next year, or beyond ? Dumb-dumbs.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 2:25:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy