The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A forgotten enemy: pandemics of the past > Comments

A forgotten enemy: pandemics of the past : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 4/5/2020

How quickly we forget the past and how little we seem to have learnt from major encounters with infectious disease.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ignorance of history. Gold fish memories. It has always been thus.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 May 2020 8:53:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter: Hear, hear and well said, Sir!

Imagine a world with no whooping cough vaccine!? And the death toll on the hapless, unenviable, newborn babies!?

Take care and stay safe.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 4 May 2020 11:47:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How do we ensure Chief Medical Officers do their job, their real job, I want them back in their box advising and just advising. I also want someone who knows about previous diseases rather than formulating Extinction Rebellion's plans for us! No travel, no industry and economic ruin.
I for one do not want to be living in a cave eating grass seeds.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 4 May 2020 3:14:03 PM
J> B. What a load of horse feather and bird's fur!

A few weeks of restricted movement and closed clubs and pubs is not the dawn of the death of civilisation, numbnuts

If we go back too early, too fast, Genius? And there is a second wave in concert with seasonal flu?

There could be yet another even longer mandatory shutdown and a real reason for rebellious juveniles like your very privileged, very important self, to have something to endlessly whine about!

Poor little ickle diddums, there there, mummy/ll kiss it better!!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 4 May 2020 6:09:31 PM
Alan B we have our economy trashed. If you had any commercial experience you would realise many people denied work will not get back into it. Many people will lose their houses. House building will stall and we are in for a depression along with the Western World. As a retiree I can amble along unlike so many younger people who will be scarred by this.
We should never have started with this because the Chief Medical Officers will be itching to exercise their new powers and ramp up the economic vandalism. I remind you genius that we have had two flu pandemics in 1957 and 1968 both killed a bit more than a million people each time including my Mother. No lock down, no new political powers and everything carried on.
I also think there will be another burst of old aged deaths this winter and as I am 72 and in indifferent health I could fall victim too. What nonsense a few ninety year olds die and you idiots squeal and run for cover, pathetic.
Lets see how this pans out over this winter but try not to frighten yourself Alan!
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 12:45:24 AM
Dear JBowyer,

Here you go mate. See, nothing like a regular flu season or even an irregular one.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 1:21:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy