The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > University bailouts, funding and Coronavirus > Comments

University bailouts, funding and Coronavirus : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 7/4/2020

This state of affairs is highly unsatisfactory, but it is one made worse by the governance of tertiary institutions that remains, at heart, anti-democratic and oligarchical.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
i don't know about that.

Universities did rely on China for much of their boom, which i don't really get.

may be a time for government to adopt reform that helps save money on sectors, such as humanities.

My experience is that much of the resources towards the humanities are wasted. Yes, it is just my opinion, but i sincerely believe that much of the university research and was hardly worth the taxpayer resources spent on it.

In fact, my best work, if i can say so, was done for a nothing where it was not dumbed down by rubbish research aims which bored me to tears.

Having said i loved the easy money, which sure beats the cleaning job i am doing at the moment for the minimum wage.

Of course, there is some really good humanities stuff, but this comprises a minority.

We really don't need such a large humanities sector, as the Internet era provides ample opportunity to keep this important tradition alive, at a much smaller cost to the taxpayer
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 8:26:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Go to university and become a cleaner. Nothing wrong with being a cleaner, a barista or any of the necessary menial jobs that seem to be filled by humanities graduate these days. But it would be much more efficient and less costly for taxpayers if the university bit was skipped.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 8:58:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What me or the entire number of graduates doing university?

it would be pretty stupid not to have a humanities sector at all, would it not ttbn?

What i am suggesting is that reform occurs to streamline sector, hopefully forcing universities to produce much better scholars and subjects which are more in line with liberal democratic questions to highlight strengths and weaknesses rather than merely slam everything or expand with many silly subjects.

I am not criticising the ideal of humanities. I actually think the humanities are a crucial sector in terms of its potential.

I just don't like the version that exists in many Australian universities
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 9:07:19 AM
i actually find insult with you comment ttbn, although i would like to say i am thick skinned.

The point you ignore is that any skills i have today, whether u think muuch of them or not, are indeed from my university experience.

the fact i now work as a cleaner does not mean i wasted taxpayer funds. it merely means it did not work out after 7 years in university sector.

wise up buddy.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 9:10:51 AM
As is the case with all public money ponds, it's time for the University swamps to be drained also !
COVID-19 is already showing us that we need to get our priorities under control. Need before greed & pragmatism before frivolity !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 9:27:16 AM
Chris,

You would "like to say" that you are thick skinned, but you cannot if you are insulted by what I said.

Whatever skills you have clearly do not include English expression: no capitals, texting type 'u' for you. Perhaps it is you who needs to "wise up buddy".
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 7 April 2020 9:32:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy