The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's urban water supply: 'Crisis…. what crisis?' > Comments

Australia's urban water supply: 'Crisis…. what crisis?' : Comments

By Charles Essery, published 30/12/2019

In the 2000-2008 drought desalination plants were the

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
How about giving all of those parasites from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc their marching orders?
Mr Opinion,
Arent you several thousand km too far East when referring to the non-contributors ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 31 December 2019 1:27:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen recommends us city folk live of roof tank water.
He obviously has no idea of the carcinogens and toxins on our rooftops, deposited there courtesy of fossil fuels and oil combustion in our cars. Nice, but I'll stick with mains water for drinking!
Posted by Max Green, Tuesday, 31 December 2019 6:37:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Max Green, your attitude encapsulates the ignorance of "you city types'. I have actually analysed the water chemistry of rainwater and what you say is nonsense. Properly maintained rainwater tanks in urban or rural areas are perfectly safe. At the moment, such tanks are only recommended for gardens, clothes washing, toilet flushing dishwashing etc. But if you apply a triple filter plus UV disinfection, ANY city dweller can safe the planet by using such treated water to surpass current drinking water standards. Give it a go. What is the Green phase think global act local" ?
Posted by Alison Jane, Tuesday, 31 December 2019 7:40:48 PM
Hi Alison,
got any links showing that? I'm not that worried about various bugs in my water, it's more the lead and dioxins and oil particulates that float about in our air. How do these filters cope with those?

But hey, amazing timing with the recommendation! My brother in law has an ENORMOUS water tank for Sydney. It really belongs on a farm, but he's like that, and has a hobby farm up north (but that's another story.) It ran dry. That's what climate change has done to us - even our city folk with FARM sized tanks are running dry. How's that save the world?

And what if we don't have the LAND space for tanks that can store seasons of water? What does all this cost? Desal is coming down in price and if coupled to nuclear power can solve climate change AND Sydney water problems AND maybe let us pump some of that Warragamba dam water out to western towns where it might be needed more. How does that grab ya?
Posted by Max Green, Tuesday, 31 December 2019 9:33:59 PM
Max Green,
So, what are you people doing right now in readiness for the next deluge ? Are you working on catching more water for storage ? Or, are you just sitting there waiting for the Govt to do "something "?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 1 January 2020 7:35:11 AM
I'd love a bit of a tank down the side of my house, but the way we have our garden set up I'll NEVER own one like my brother in law.

And remember, HIS tank ran dry!

So what am I doing about water? Nothing at the moment because I cannot afford it. I've got a bunch of other things to think about before then.

But I'm (slowly) reading about it and trying to understand what options Sydney has. Israel get over half their water from desal. Why can't we?

Hypothetical for you if the drought this year becomes the new normal? what if Sydney were ALL desal and Warragamba dam were pumped west towards agricultural areas that need it more?
Posted by Max Green, Wednesday, 1 January 2020 8:55:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11