The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lethal visits: volcano tourism and the White Island eruption > Comments

Lethal visits: volcano tourism and the White Island eruption : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 11/12/2019

While the authorities and tour operators count the profits from visitors they can also claim to be bringing humans closer to the earth.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There has to something wrong with people who would want to be on a very ugly, known to be active, volcano. Another case of sympathy for the the grieving families, but the victims were idiots of the sort who get even more idiotic in a mob situation. Another hugging opportunity for the poser, Ardern.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 8:57:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I found ttbn a little shallow as to the comment.

Tourists are going to be reliant on the tour operator for accurate info as to dangers, you are going to think if tours are going to be run regularly there must be a fair level of safety involved.

It is called duty of care. And why would an operator risk bankruptcy, let alone the deaths of customers who may return if the experience is interesting enough? The goose that lays the golden eggs is a dead duck here. I suspect the operators will be litigated back to the stone age.

And why the cheap shot at Ardern?
Posted by paul walter, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 9:42:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Binoy is again displaying his bureaucratic & communistic tendencies here simultaneously.

First he is horrified that some tourist operators should profit from giving tourists what they want, & he wants some bureaucrat to decide that the tourists should be allowed to do.

Who the hells life is it? If I want to do something, no matter how dangerous the Binoys of this world may think it to be, surely that is my right, not that of some clown in an office hundreds or thousands of miles away.

No amount of advertising will ever get a tourist to do what they don't want to do. Most would never undertake a scuba diving course, & go dive on the great barrier reef, & very few are attracted to a a trip through the Snowy mountains on a horse, but is that any reason why the likes of Binoy should be able to stop them doing it.

Many tourist operators are approaching benevolent operations. They risk considerable investment to enable tourists to indulge in an activity they could never organise for themselves, while making a very precarious living for much hard work. Dive the reef, ride the Snowy, or visit a volcano, all thing the average person could never do without the tourist operator.

Personally I think you have to be crazy to go near an active volcano, but then I believe racing my Brabham around Bathutst or sailing my 40 Ft yacht tens of thousands of miles around the Pacific islands are both worth the effort & what ever risk may be involved. That I'm still here proved the risk was very minor.

Thank god the Binoys of this world weren't able to stop me
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 10:05:28 AM
Well for those who can't be bothered reading the whole dreary article then I've got good news- I've read it for you. And the essential sentence is right at the end:
"The question arising here is also one of human cost: at what point is life worth forfeiting for the ecstasy of danger, preserved by a snap of social media?"

And here is my answer:
The point lies for any given person where that individual thinks that the risk to their life is worth the experience/thrill/bragging rights gained.

Ie: people should be free to do whatever they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If what they chose to do ends up hurting/killing them then that's their own problem. It's all part of the once popular commonsense idea that you are responsible/accountable/culpable for your own actions.
Posted by thinkabit, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 10:11:10 AM
Nobody is, or should be, more interested in his/her welfare than themselves.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 10:58:12 AM
Hasbeen,

Yep. People have to take responsibility for their own actions. Every time this sort of thing happens, up comes a media witch hunt looking for someone to blame. The only people to blame are those victims of their own stupidity. What is not obvious about a hissing, active volcano that last went up in 2001, and has previously erupted more than once? Volcanologists have said that they wouldn't have set foot on it. I wonder how many of the tourists had harped on believing the science when it's dodgy rubbish on climate change, but who ignored the science that could have kept them alive.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 11 December 2019 11:01:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy