The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do the cloning experiment egg donors appreciate their place in history? > Comments

Do the cloning experiment egg donors appreciate their place in history? : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 11/3/2004

Melinda Tankard Reist argues that the women who donated eggs to the Korean Cloning experiment are invisible

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is a very complex issue, and I commend the author for her article. The whole area of harvesting eggs and creating embryos for research is a challenge. I listened to a professor on Radio National's Health Report this morning talking about stem cell research. He condemned cloning of humans, as he said it would lead to the death of the mother and the baby. But therapeutic cloning of stem cells for the purposes of medical research into disabling and fatal human diseases is something rather different. The embryos used for this are obtained from couples who have extra embryos from IVF procedures. I don't believe that IVF should be stopped because there are embryos not implanted, and eventually destroyed, or used in medical research. I don't see how we could tell infertile couples that they can't use IVF to try for children. I don't see how we can say to people with motor neuron disease, or paraplegia, or stroke, or Parkinson's, that we can't go down the path of stem cell research to find cures or treatments for their conditions.
Posted by SueB, Monday, 29 November 2004 6:57:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy