The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Vulnerability in a greying Australia: the aged in a changing climate > Comments

Vulnerability in a greying Australia: the aged in a changing climate : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 10/10/2019

Australia’s geographical location and size add a further dimension ensuring that the country experiences a widely variable climate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Hi Hasbeen

Very true about better health for longer living.

Oh confected doom and gloom (glass half empty) by the author for the over 65s.

It a good thing that more poeple are living longer, healthy, fulfilled lives, after 65. Now people are living to see their grandchildren grow up - even great grand children.

This is rather than conditions up to the 1960s when (especially) men died in pain just a few years after retirement at 60.

Now days people live longer and in less pain, due to:

- increased non-work related exercise in leisure hours

- more available meditications for pain relief and life extension

- better diet: less of a pub-beer (no women) culture after work hours for men. Red-meat is being recommended only a few times a week rather than 2-3 times a day that boosted heart disease. Remember the killers of stake and eggs for breakfast and "Feed the Man Meat"?

- air conditioning for much better cooling in hot weather (rather than wet towels and slow ceiling fans up to the 1970s)

So all this longer living past 65 is a sign of happier better health, hence a good thing.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 10 October 2019 1:23:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Global warming isn't real
Because I was cold today!

Also Great News -
World Hunger is over because I just ate."

pilot idea for a TV series or a movie:

99% of world scientists contrive an environmental crisis -
but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and
oil companies.

A new illness has been discovered -
CCDD -
(Climate change denial disorder).
Found amongst white older men.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 October 2019 1:36:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hassbeen old mate, turn off all your air conditioners for a month between December and January, take a trip out back to where the Murray/Darling used to flow!

Yes, our sun has entered a cyclical waning phase, Therefore we ought to be getting cooler!

Not what we are getting now with the hottest on record days weeks months years, receding ice sheets and glaciers!

Again Hasbeen, YOU repeat the blatant pork pie that coal-fired power is cheapest!

IT IS NOT!

Coal-fired power used to be reasonable before fools were given power tried to and sometimes succeded in privatising it

Then they used far fetched offshore comparisons to game the system and price gouge!

Allowed, for the most part, by fully imported debt-laden, tax-avoiding, profit repatriating, gold plating foreign conmen?

Foisted on us with a tissue of blatant porkies!

Previous generations built this country and all in it, with far less capital than available to government! And started and completed engineering marvels and infrastructure all while creating an economy the third wealthiest in the world and a creditor one at that!

The difference between now and then? Our forbears weren't shackled to idiotic ideological imperatives like YOU so obviously are! And were not nearly so partisan!

And were guided far more by logic's rites, not the Blame shifting and me, me (greed is good) garbage we get today!

You boost about all that you did for YOU and YOURS and the unearnt privileges YOU enjoy and expect to enjoy as if it was YOUR birthright!

YOU and YOURS are the problem! And the very obvious roadblock to getting something done and creating a world the better for us being here! And that's not what YOU and YOURS are leaving as YOUR only legacy!

The sooner YOU and YOUR ilk are pushing up the daisies and out of the way! The sooner another more caring and less indifferent, less greedy and less self-serving folk, can just get on and do what needs doing, even where that involves sovereign risk for a fanatical, coal-fired few!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 10 October 2019 2:09:29 PM
Alan for gods sake, do some arithmetic on the properties of CO2, & then stop making a fool of your self.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 10 October 2019 10:14:04 PM
As a healthy 84 year old, I am very cognisant of the problems for my contemporaries raised by the author. JBowyer. It seems to me that the idiots are yourself and the other morons who are in denial of man made climate change.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 11 October 2019 5:34:24 AM
VK one question, why have renewables given us the most expensive electricity on the planet?
These same idiots are now going to get us out of gas? I actually remember London heated by coal, then going over to gas and the improvement that gave
I also remember the daily weather. Some dipstick at our ABC saying hot, hot, hot does not cut it with me.
There should be a Royal Commission on this whole nonsense and when the con is exposed real consequences for the scientists, politicians and hucksters of this biggest scam of all time!
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 11 October 2019 10:29:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy