The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Queen and 'The King of the World' > Comments

The Queen and 'The King of the World' : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 25/7/2019

If we can't get this right, we will surrender all right to lecture the world on democratic principles, or to brag about Westminster being the mother of all parliaments.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
'When the majority of British referendum voters opted for Leave, they gave their Parliament an instruction, not an opinion.

They did not do this because, as some imply, the majority of them were callow and ill-informed about the issues at stake. They do not now need former high office holders to badger and lecture them about the error of their ways.'

One could also describe this as 'opinion' and possibly incorrect, according to the law:

'The European Union Referendum Act 2015 – the law that allowed the referendum to take place – didn't specify what would happen in the event of a vote to leave. ... It said “because of the sovereignty of Parliament, referendums cannot be legally binding in the UK, and are therefore advisory”'

Further, all British will be paying the price for PM Cameron's careless gamble (with constraints on British Remain supporters in Europe etc.) which, according to Sir Craig Oliver, became a 'right wing coup', and now an actual Brexit potentially leading to break up of the UK to satisfy English 'collective narcissism'.

Very curious how supposed 'Remain' supporters are now pushing for 'Leave' and global trade i.e. US radical right libertarian vassalage? Clever double speak/think of Leave campaign claiming to be anti globalist and anti neo liberal?
Posted by Andras Smith, Monday, 29 July 2019 10:10:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AC, VK3AUU,

Sorry, you are both right.
In my moment of exuberance I most certainly got ahead of myself and 'buggered up' the math.
People may wonder why I get so pissed off with the public at large.
When I see blatant disregard for a truth being supplanted for a lie, both the liar and the lie should be immediately attacked and rendered incapable of promoting the lie any further.
And so it is that the YES response garnered only a meager 28%!
When the NO was potentially 78%, because it was a mix of 'couldn't care less' to a firm NO!
Those really incensed by the whole thing actually got off their buts to make it clear, the rest obviously did not want to have anything to do with it and thought it's just a survey, so who cares.
Had the govt done the right thing and made people vote on it, the result would have been an overwhelming, official NO, and not some half arsed survey.
Posted by ALTRAV, Monday, 29 July 2019 3:03:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy