The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On poverty > Comments

On poverty : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 13/6/2019

In our country, and others like them, at election times, and indeed pretty well all the time, poverty is seen as being somehow wrong in principle, and my political party or yours will end it, or at least reduce it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Alan B., if your phrase: 'some self-satisfied and demonstrably indifferent academic, who wouldn't have a clue? is intended to apply to me, then you miss the purpose of my essays. I am not there in print either to show sympathy or to attack. I am there to pose questions, do my best to analyse, ad generally to encourage others to think.

On the face fit, my purpose has failed your case.
Posted by Don Aitkin, Sunday, 16 June 2019 10:44:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi LEGO,

Are you conflating immigrants (permanent and/or on temporary visas), visitors, students, refugees and/or illegal immigrants (i.e. 'boat-people') ?

Immigrants usually have necessary skills and find work relatively easily. Refugees may have far more difficulties adjusting to Australian society and work environments - most would much rather stay in their home-countries, after all, if only if it was possible. Illegals have the option of going back to their last safe place, or going to Christmas Island. Not too many are currently taking up the offer.

Australia's annual refugee quota is something under twenty thousand. Presumably, with sixty eight million refugees and displaced persons around the world, many of whom would have filled out the proper forms and waited (and waited; and waited), that quota is filled each year. But it's not a hell of a lot of people, even though they need many services, with language, skills, housing, welfare, etc. specific to each language group.

Are you suggesting that this disparate 'group' has higher crime stats than average ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 16 June 2019 11:18:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LEGO, WOW! I'm truly shocked at those last stats on the blacks in the US.
I did not know that the Australian Bureau of Stats withheld ANY info.
Do they not realise that by doing that, they are bringing attention to that stat and the fact that it must be bad, for them not to release it?
I'm not sure who gains by allowing so many people, (of any race or creed) into a country which cannot sustain on-going population growth, without the growth of, mainly, water supply or stocks.
Once the water problem is resolved then we can cater to the rest, such as food supply.
The two things that MUST happen before we can all start to benefit financially and return to the living standards of old.
They are, firstly STOP immigration until the services, such as water and jobs, catch up again.
And secondly, freeze wages thereby allowing the economy to adjust and our exports to become viable again.
Actually the preferred option for all this to work, is a wage reduction.
Aussies have been living like spoilt brats for far too long.
As I've told my children, just because some snake oil salesman is promoting some new toy, does not mean you have to instantly go and buy it.
How many out there have known or known of people who had all the bells and whistles, new car, boat, SUV, jet ski, motor bike, and the list goes on, only to find some time later, it's all, or most of it's gone.
Those same people are not suddenly on the dole or out on the street, they simply have been forced back to reality and now are having to live within their means.
To those irrational social terrorists who get all worked up when anyone speaks of halting immigration, any and all kinds, I say to them SHUT UP, just because you are emotionally impaired does not give you the right to force further hardships on an already struggling population.
I would like these do-gooders to take the foreigners in and be 'totally' responsible for them.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 16 June 2019 11:41:12 AM
Loudmouth, I give you an example which is 'real and 'current', as we speak.
When it comes to self preservation and one of life's lessons, which apply to us every day and our on-going well being, there can be no better example than the following;
As I fly/have flown a lot, I refer to the pre-flight safety messages given before every flight.
This small exhibition carries a very large life lesson, even though it goes unnoticed.
The part relevant to my point is, to quote; 'If the oxygen masks should drop, place it on "yourself first", then attend to the children or others in your care'.
Now to the emotionally challenged this would be condemned as being selfish and putting your well being before that of a child.
I can say this because I have had the odd moron scoff at this instruction.
Now I would like all you emotionally challenged types out there to see if you can work out why the airlines promote that procedure and why it is relevant to us in this particular country.
Not some other country, THIS, particular country.
When you have figured it out you will have realised why we can't keep taking in so many people at the rate the do-gooders demand.
No we need to keep a lid on immigration or the rest of us will suffer.
There are those who are already suffering as a direct result of the current un-sustainable immigration.
Remember, it is beyond foolish to promote the well being of a stranger over that of, or at the expense of, your family.
And as for your question; 'Are you suggesting that this desperate 'group' has higher crime stats than others'?
You ask the wrong question.
Obviously we cannot answer, but equally yet more relevant is the question to you, to counter, and that is; 'Are you suggesting that this desperate 'group', DOES NOT, have higher crime stats than others?
I rest my case.
I have no further questions, at this time, your honour.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 16 June 2019 12:28:07 PM
ALTRAV,

Are you confusing immigrants with refugees ? Apart from family reunion immigrants, most immigrants have high levels of sought-after skills. Refugees tend not to have relevant skills, although of course there are many who do have skills that we need people for.

Immigrants tend to get employed - as such, they may not figure high on crime statistics. Their family reunions tend to involve parents of working immigrants, who also may not figure much in crime statistics.

Since the War, immigrants have built Australia, done all the hard and dirty work in factories, and certainly pulled their weight.

So do you mean refugees ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 16 June 2019 3:24:00 PM
Loudmouth, (Joe), I too am from migrant stock, (parents came from Italy in 1949) so I know of what you speak.
Joe, unfortunately to make this work, we must be strong.
I might suggest a 'lifeboat' scenario.
Imagine if you will, we are in a lifeboat that is taking water.
All around are people desperate to get aboard.
The priority is to keep the boat afloat, if only for the sake of those within.
As the water is bailed out, so we can take another person, but one at a time, so as to keep in check the water leaving the boat and the person alighting the boat.
Let the person in the boat too soon, you will run the risk of sinking the boat, thereby possibly drowning all those already on board.
Do it slowly and measured in tune with the water being bailed out and you will rescue enough people which will sustain and keep the boat afloat.
And so it is with immigration.
I don't much differentiate between the different types of immigrants.
I might suggest that any immigrant right now, in this economic climate, is suicide for the local job seekers.
It may seem cruel to you and many others but, I for one, must put my family/country first.
If that means there are no jobs for me or my fellow Australians, then, as sad as it is, we must not allow any more people in before we have made 'space' for them.
Just bringing them in to give them money and resources which are by any standard the rights of any and all Aussies, before any foreigners, yes even if they are 'alleged' refugees.
You are suggesting swapping one set of homeless and needy people with another.
Well I'm sorry Joe, as cruel as it sounds, so be it.
We MUST take care of our own first!
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 16 June 2019 5:54:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy