The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrorism laws: prevention is better than cure > Comments

Terrorism laws: prevention is better than cure : Comments

By Philip Ruddock, published 23/9/2005

Philip Ruddock argues it is better to have terrorism laws in place before an attack rather than after.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Sarah10 & Trade215,

Don't be so lazy; push the critical insight a little farther. Don't stop at what the likes of Pilger or Chomsky (and in NO way Mike Moore!) has revealed to you about Western governments or "capitalism". They irrationally take everything out of context, totally lack perspective. They abuse Orwell! He was writing about them! (and "the spies", the little moral-police like you).
Posted by Skippy, Tuesday, 27 September 2005 9:58:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Skippy, what are you on about mate?

"They irrationally take everything out of context, totally lack perspective."

Would you care to enlighten us as to what context we should place things like wars that result in the deaths of countless people, let alone wars that are based on questionable motives (& justifications)? Or am I so naive as to not see the purpose of wanton death and destruction?
Posted by Knightrider, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 11:33:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[1] Response to Plantagenet: I was aware of this Police Federation claim, but don't entirely understand it. Surely, police are not individually liable and furthermore would not and certainly should not engage in racial profiling. As police powers expand, their actions can be more readily be picked up by other laws applying more generally, but as far as I know, police are not asking for an exemption from the Racial Discrimination Act .

Your point was about "extremist groups", which I take to mean groups acting outside the law. If they are targeted based upon evidence or reasonable suspicion, then a claim of false arrest cannot succeed. On the other hand, if police decide to bodysearch every olive-skinned person walking into the grand final stadium, then it wouldn't be an extremist person, but an innocent person who'd have a right to complain and fair enough too. The cases in the US are about this.

Police don't believe in racial profiling. It entirely undermines the trust the public have in law enforcement and importantly doesn't work. Terrorists have long known they must blend in.

[2] Can I have a quick dig at Plerdsus who on 23/9/2005 said "Excellent article, Mr Ruddock ... We are in a state of war against terror ... Actual enemies [and] citizens sympathetic to the enemy can ... be interned ... and if necessary we will kill the lot", with references to World War II.

I have yet to hear anyone so taken in by the phrase "war on terror." The declaration of war on Japan and Germany resulted in the internment of their citizens because Japan and Germany are actual countries with actual citizens. Plerdsus, if you know someone who is a citizen of Terrorism, please inform the authorities. Mr Ruddock appreciates your support.
Posted by David Latimer, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 11:53:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David

Thanks for your reply. Reading todays article in the Australian http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16745766%255E601,00.html I'd say that the police (unions) are seeking greater acknowledgement of the new "burdens" placed on them by the proposed anti-terror laws. Hence they're probably seeking greater resources - which generally comes down to pay increases.

They also seem to wish to be placed more into the intelligence loop. Interesting to see if this will be seen as a departure from traditional (community) policing and a move towards the intelligence/police FBI model.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 3:33:26 PM
No answer in this discussion on not-so-simple issues as

-an EXTENT of an applauded PREVENTION of terro
-a case of law might apply: it’s very easy to say that one can speak something if criticising government, but.

Hitler started with a similar rhetoric.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 28 September 2005 4:45:54 PM
Mr Ruddock,

Hate to be the one bringing focus and pouring cold water.
New anti-terror laws might introduce tighter measures but they are only a small part of the 'prevention' process.

A largely missing piece is to revisit Australian foreign policy in comparison to New Zealand for example who managed to balance clear position on terrorism without being that much of a named target.

A second point is to genuinly engage the Muslims community in a nation building dialogue and a plan. The format that took place in Sydney was not it.

Last, define our military obligations overseas and the decision making process to involve Australians in a war overseas. I was suprised to see Mr Howard maintain the "no decision had been made" then surprise the public when the army was already overseas with the "I did it because it was the right thing".

War decisions affects nations in decades and not in government terms.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 30 September 2005 10:26:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All