The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > George Pell: questions wise and foolish > Comments

George Pell: questions wise and foolish : Comments

By Alfred Zarb, published 19/3/2019

It is not unreasonable for an average person, not necessarily a Pell supporter, to at least wonder about the fairness of this conviction.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What's troubling about the Pell conviction is how emotion substituted for evidence. If the law says A should not do X to B if B is a certain demographic then emotion doesn't apply. A counter example is the teenage pregnancy of the daughter of a US state governor. The boyfriend was the same age but was not charged with statutory rape. The reason seems to be lack of emotional outcry.

It would have been legally more satisfactory to prosecute Pell for covering for errant priests. I'm not sure the law actually proscribes that. Instead Pell took the hit for those priests based on unsupported 22 year old testimony. According to our ABC it was all very emotional therefore the accused must be guilty.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 19 March 2019 8:31:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the bloke's name was Bill Smith? There'd be no questions put, let alone needing to be answered!

Our jury system is inherently fair but not entirely infallible. However the pope never ever errs and is on the public record in relation to Pell as saying, rigidity hides something, a double life perhaps?

From every angle, our justice system seems to have bent backwards to give this man every chance along with due respect, courtesy and civility. And any way you spin or paint it, a very fair hearing.

If I had my druthers, I'd subject all the allowed testimony and all that wasn't, to be tested by unbeatable, space-age lie detection which can be deployed covertly, to test all witness statements! And I'd offer the facility to Pell first, which I believe, he'd decline and for the most obvious if unstated reasons!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 19 March 2019 10:25:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'It would have been legally more satisfactory to prosecute Pell for covering for errant priests. I'm not sure the law actually proscribes that. Instead Pell took the hit for those priests based on unsupported 22 year old testimony. According to our ABC it was all very emotional therefore the accused must be guilty.'

probably the first time I have ever agreed with you Taswegian.

on another matter now that the Trump collusion has shown to be a total sham I wonder if any justice will come to Clinton for her lies and deceit.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 19 March 2019 10:49:31 AM
runner: need to run harder mate, the cage/wheel you're spinning isn't spinning hard enough!?

And how you're able to connect Trump and Pell can only be explained by, birds of a feather theory or a very severe case of Sargent Shultz syndrome!?

You'll have a nice day now, y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 19 March 2019 11:12:54 AM
'And how you're able to connect Trump and Pell can only be explained by, birds of a feather theory or a very severe case of Sargent Shultz syndrome!? '

just thought i would beat you and the abc to it Alan.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 19 March 2019 11:16:06 AM
Alan B: “From every angle, our justice system seems to have bent backwards to give this man every chance along with due respect, courtesy and civility. And any way you spin or paint it, a very fair hearing.”

You are grossly misinformed.

If ever there was a case for a judge-only trial, this was it, given the publicised abusive accusations Cardinal Pell has had to endure over many years from the likes of the biased ABC, anti-Catholic media, homosexual activist David Marr, and victim advocates.

The Victorian government acknowledged as much shortly after the verdict was handed down, by calling for judge-only trials to be considered in Victoria in future -- its legal system does not provide for same at present.
Posted by Raycom, Tuesday, 19 March 2019 1:33:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy