The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > George Pell and conservatism > Comments

George Pell and conservatism : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 13/3/2019

The Catholic defence is perhaps understandable. But a bigger issue to this writer is why are all the conservatives supporting Pell?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Back to the topic...

Pat Hudson has won the Bald Archy Prize -
a parody of the Archibald Prize with a phallic
themed likeness of Cardinal George Pell.
Enjoy:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-22/cardinal-george-pell-portrait-wins-bald-archy-prize-2016/7651566
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 15 March 2019 6:58:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Peter (the author),

Allow me to suggest that the so-called “conservative” people you mention – Andrew Bolt, Tony Abbott, John Howard, Miranda Devine and, of course, Cardinal George Pell – all share the same characteristics of classical narcissism.

The narcissist displays a grandiose way of thinking about their own talents, beauty, masculinity or femininity and intelligence. While they have an inflated sense of self-worth, they are generally devaluing and dismissive of others. In fact, to the narcissist, other people are generally not treated as peers, but instead as mere objects to be exploited for selfish motives.

Another common characteristic of the “conservatives” is what Nietzsche calls their "Der Wille zur Macht" (desire for power) that he considers to be their main driving force, their ambition to reach the highest possible position in life.

Nietzsche observed that people who are driven by the desire for power recognise that same craving in others who are similar to themselves and sympathise with them. They form what they consider to be an elite. He adds : « … they then conspire together for power. And the process goes on. »

For Nietzsche, the desire for power is not a sign of strength but of weakness. He wrote in one of his notebooks :

« I have found strength where one does not look for it: in simple, mild, and pleasant people, without the least desire to rule—and, conversely, the desire to rule has often appeared to me a sign of inward weakness … »

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 16 March 2019 8:13:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

"Having lived and worked in the US for close to ten years it was something that was quite apparent to us all. "

Ten years and still managed to utterly misunderstand their system. I'll bear that in mind the next time you try to fortify your views on the US with your having lived there.

Probably a good point to end the inquisition. We've all seen your level of accuracy and honesty. No need to belabour the point.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 16 March 2019 9:03:21 AM
mhaze,

Misunderstand the system?

No. unfortunately misunderstanding is your forte.
I thought that by explaining things to you
I may just make you see things what we had
experienced by actually living and working in
the country under discussion.

But it seems that
you'd rather not get the points I was
making - you prefer to argue against the way that I
I was doing it.

That is arguing on an emotional level -
not a mature intelligent one.

Have a nice day.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 16 March 2019 9:33:43 AM
Foxy,

"Misunderstand the system?

No. unfortunately misunderstanding is your forte."

You asserted that Trump was elected as a result of a faulty Electoral College system (EV) because of, you asserted, " the electoral voting system not being adjusted over the past decades" when in fact it is adjusted EVERY decade. Somehow that, to your mind, is not misunderstanding the system.

I appreciate that you are now in muddy-the-water mode, where you are prepared to openly assert that you didn't say things that anyone reading the thread can easily see you did say. I have to say you are very practised at it.

“When my information changes, I change my mind. What do you do?” JM Keynes.
Foxy's answer...assert that my mind wasn't based on the information I'd previously said it was based on...or something.

BTW..I thought I was going to "be arguing on [my] own." :)
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 16 March 2019 11:42:41 AM
mhaze,

My good nature simply refuses to allow you to sink.
;-)
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 16 March 2019 11:53:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy