The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored > Comments

Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 24/12/2018

Let's clear away some debris. December 25 is not the date of Jesus' birth. There is no biblical mention of the exact day of his birth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
NNS,

I prefer to let it all go and not argue
with anyone's personal beliefs.

Have a nice day.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 29 December 2018 10:02:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To OzSpen.

Thankyou for the warning and the encouragement. Sorry for not responding yet. I've seen the attitudes on OLO concerning Christianity and agree with your prognosis that bringing up a Christian topic is used as an oppurtunity to try and spear Christianity as a whole by some posters. I've run into it also and haven't started many discussions since.

About the arguments tor non literal interpretations, I get it to a degree even if I disagree with it. There's a lot in the bible that is hard to believe, from teachings considered exaggerations, to miracles that seem impossible. Even to people thinking that history is liberally understood instead of literally understood by ancient audiences because of how the history was or how it was told.

But these are arguments that I understand coming from a non-Christian. Coming from a Christian to say they don't believe Jesus was born of a virgin, didn't die and come back, nor do they believe in miracles baffles me. I have to ask what they believe in that makes them Christian. I don't see it because they don't trust the bible, and without that what is their foundation for believing in Jesus?

I may have been too strong on the points towards Foxy and Alan B, but I disagreed with them both on their stances. Alan's because I thought it was not honest in approach or in regards to the subject. And Foxy's because I I read her as trying to save non Christians from Christianity, and in the heat of it disrobing her own Christianity.

Sorry if I took your topic away from you. I did enjoy your article and thought it was informative to both a believer and a non believer about Christmas. If only it would be given the chance to read it to understand it.

To Foxy.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you consider what was discussed. I think you care about others, but I worry you've lost your trust in God out of your friendship and trust in others who aren't Christian.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 29 December 2018 5:02:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The common nativity story is largely a myth.

There were not three "wise men/Kings/Astrologers" mentioned in the Bible - only three "gifts".
If they came from the East, how could they follow a star in the East? They would have to move away from it.

The oldest gospel says only that Jesus was born in Bethlehem (in accordance with the prophesy). The next one said he was born in Nazareth (a town that didn't even exist in Jesus' time).

It was left to a later one to come up with a contrived story of mass-killing, escape into Egypt and a nonsensical and historically unproven Census to try and resolve the problem to say that Joseph had to return to his father's city of Bethlehem and thereby imply that Jesus came from both places.

It's like explaining where Santa gets his toys by including elves - a contrived commentary invented for a purpose.
Posted by rache, Thursday, 3 January 2019 9:24:39 AM
rache,

<<The common nativity story is largely a myth.>>

It's your post that contains plenty of mythical info. Pretty creative stuff but it sure reads like it's out of your mind and presuppositions.

<<The oldest gospel says only that Jesus was born in Bethlehem (in accordance with the prophesy). The next one said he was born in Nazareth (a town that didn't even exist in Jesus' time).>>

We have the 4 Gospels readily available online. Go to Biblegateway at: http://www.biblegateway.com/.

Please show me which Gospel states that Jesus was born in Nazareth (please give name of the Gospel, chapter and verses).

Now it's time to demonstrate whether you're telling the truth or giving us another one of your myths.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 3 January 2019 10:01:32 AM
To rache.

A link to evidance of Nazerath existing around Jesus's time.

https://www.is-there-a-god.info/blog/belief/did-bethlehem-and-nazareth-exist-in-jesus-day/

You can believe the source or not, but the article at least contains things that can be looked into to confirm or deny. I'd at least look at the article based on that alone.

If they are true then the evidance points to Nazerath existing at the time Jesus was around.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Friday, 4 January 2019 4:20:32 AM
Spencer, thank you for your thoughtful article. I was very slow to respond because I had problems with the log-in process, now happily resolved.(Thank you, admin.)
I'm very happy that there are still serious writers willing to express a reasoned argument in defense of the Christian Gospel.
Yes, it is encouraging to hear Christmas carols played over shopping centre loud speakers, but with so much else that is played it is no wonder that the true story of The birth of Jesus has been blurred in the mind of the unbelieving public.
To those who sneer at the Christian Gospel, I ask: How do you resolve the issue of good and evil in the world?
Posted by PenelopeP, Thursday, 17 January 2019 2:37:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy