The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored > Comments

Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 24/12/2018

Let's clear away some debris. December 25 is not the date of Jesus' birth. There is no biblical mention of the exact day of his birth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
DL,

<<Interesting article Spencer. People seem to knock the Christians a lot and portray them as kill joys etc.>>

You've seen it already in this thread. My writing this kind of article seems to be an opportunity to unload venom on the Christian Church and the One born to be 'Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace' (Isa 9:6).

This prophetic fulfillment demonstrates that the One born in Bethlehem was the 'Prince of Peace' and his method of transmitting the faith is not through terrorism and violence but by Christians who are called by Jesus, 'Blessed are the peacemakers'.

<<But I find it interestingly the knockers are happy to have a Easter break and a Christmas break. It seems they want the rewards of a Christian foundation as long as they don't have to say thank you for it.>>

Well said. Our Australian Constitution affirms this nation's Christian foundation: 'WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established' (http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/Constitution/preamble).

If these opponents were interested in promoting the anti-Christian views, wouldn't it be consistent to turn down holiday pay for Christmas and Easter?

<<Next week will be a new year and the shops will start selling Hot Cross Buns. Not sure why a big chain store wouldn't be wanting to sell Nativity scenes as they would make money from them. Maybe the fun police don't want to make profits from something that promotes Christianity even though they are in another sense>>

It surprised me also. I couldn't find one store in my suburb selling a nativity scene. I shopped at the local Coles supermarket yesterday and Coles didn't display a nativity scene but allowed a private person to display one.. That's one step forward but a step back by not sponsoring it. With some large businesses, it's OK to sponsor homosexual message but not the Saviour's birth.
Posted by OzSpen, Monday, 24 December 2018 7:01:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//My writing this kind of article seems to be an opportunity to unload venom//

In my experience, you use your articles as an opportunity to unload venom on non-Christians. I mean, what else is one to make of being compared to fungal growths? Fair's fair, Spencer. Or at least, it is in the version of Christianity I grew up with.

//If these opponents were interested in promoting the anti-Christian views, wouldn't it be consistent to turn down holiday pay for Christmas and Easter?//

A two-tiered industrial relations system, with one's religion determining which tier one falls into? Best of luck, but I don't think it will fly in Australia. Not even under a Liberal government.

//I couldn't find one store in my suburb selling a nativity scene.//

Try the Salvos. I volunteer at a Salvation Army store and we've sold a few this past month.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 24 December 2018 7:15:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have a Happy and Enjoyable Christmas, even if you don't believe in it.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 24 December 2018 11:00:02 PM
Great information you've presented here Spencer. For those who don't know the bible enough to know some of these things themself you've given the details around Christmas in greater detail then many who do know the scope and the details of Jesus's birth. I very much enjoyed the extra historical information. But I am even more glad that you could share so well the point of the celibration of Christmas even in spite of the non-Christian elements that have become a fog at times in this season of celibration and generousity.

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you, and Merry Christmas to everyone else in this conversation. God bless you all. May He bless all of your lives with the love that I remember growing up around Christmas seasons and that be a reminder of His love for us, as well as a reason to celebrate. :)
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 25 December 2018 4:42:15 AM
//I am even more glad that you could share so well the point of the celibration of Christmas even in spite of the non-Christian elements that have become a fog at times in this season of celibration and generousity.//

How easily misinformation takes hold :(

Here's the Peanuts Gang to explain the true origins of Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11jAEKgB2o

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 25 December 2018 7:08:54 AM
Given J.C. was born during the northern winter? His birthday could have been around July and shortly after a Roman census.
The star of Bethlehem, probably a comet, making the above proposed month more likely? The 24th perhaps?

So what, we celebrate the Queen's birthday on another fixed day and applicable to all monarchies. And Captain Cook reportedly landed ashore in Botany Bay, on another day, than we commemorate?

The message of Chrismas is peace and goodwill to all mankind! And given only 6 degrees of difference in the entire human race! Why ever not?

After all, the only real differences are exclusively cultural and often the result of inculcated from birth, belief systems. Many of which are pure invention!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 25 December 2018 12:55:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy