The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Where the jobs will be in 2023 > Comments

Where the jobs will be in 2023 : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 7/12/2018

The figures released by the Federal Government show an economy increasingly reliant on jobs growth in two major cities, but not in the city centres of those cities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Aidan

It is evident you lack the capacity for an intelligent discussion.

I posted above 4 points for you to comment about on Sunday, 9 December 2018 2:11:31 AM here they are.
"We're capable of high value work that they're not." Examples please.

Australia used to have the manufacturing capacity and made lots of products, what is made in Australia today, very very little.

The main thing we have are holes in the ground from the minerals we sell, but at a lower rate of tax going to the Government than other countries.

The wages in Asia will not rise to anywhere near ours for a very long time." Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 9 December 2018 2:11:31 AM

You have not been on this thread since I posted those 4 points, now Monday, 10 December 2018 1:05:41 AM you come on here and post this comment.

Quote "Why settle for disagreement? I'd highlighted some logical flaws you based your argument on - are you really too stupid to admit you were wrong?"
Followed by your reply to what I asked you.

So you have called me stupid before I have even seen your comment and had a chance to reply, that makes you not very intelligent.

Just a little warning the next time you call anyone stupid or any other derogatory term I will hit the little red X on the bottom of your comment as per the rules "Do not flame".

People do not come to this forum to be subjected to your abuse, if you can't say something nice don't say anything.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 10 December 2018 2:04:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan
Quote "Australia is the world leader in field robotics, and pretty good at biotech as well."
1st Not sure why you put the word field in?
2nd A quick internet search = Top 21 Industrial Robotics Companies in the World 2018 5 Jul 2018 ** Not one Australian company there. **
CSIRO is very good but woefully underfunded.

http://www.technavio.com/blog/top-21-companies-in-the-industrial-robotics-market

Quote "Putting things together used to be valuable, but now it's generally become a low value activity. Nowadays the value has shifted to the intellectual property. Putting things together is hardly worth anything, but knowing how to make them is still worth a lot."

Correct but where is your evidence that a lot of Australian companies are involved in innovation.

Quote "Though the manufacturing sector is much smaller than it used to be, it is still significant. And AIUI parts of it, including food manufacturing, have been growing in recent years. Indeed this year, as our dollar fell, more manufacturing has returned to Australia."

Possibly right, but what if the dollar goes up will they leave, but we are only talking small numbers not lots of jobs.

Quote "Surely that depends which part of Asia? Japan's not very far behind us."

No as all Asian, Indian, Chinese etc Governments need to keep manufacturing wages at a relatively low rate or the companies will just pack up and move to a cheaper country.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 10 December 2018 2:33:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen like your idea of myrtle, tea tree and other tree crops or industry and used as they could be as mop crops for treated effluent piped to them at the root level via taped irrigation. With millions of tons of currently wasted plant nutrients

Adian, stand by my comments about you being on public record and right here on OLO. You may need to go back several years to find it and around the same time when you were in fierce disagreement with your selves over whether or not one could use methane to run ceramic fuel cells.

When you do that old son get back to me and admit, nothing much wrong with my memory or conversely, resort to your usual tactic of elder abuse. to get you past the loss of face this creates for you?

Philip, Yes it was further south, so what? The thing that changed it was repeated burns. Take away the burning for even just a few years and the country responds with the regrowth of some non-fire tolerant species as seen up north.

Yes, the interior is arid and hot and remains that way for lack of water. A dual lane inland canal would allow shipping to go more directly over a much shorter distance to a point reasonably accessible to the southern half of the continent! Given a dual lane, able to use simple floodgates to ensure northern flood tides completely flush and refill entire system at least every 24 hours. With billions of trillions of litres of, recoverable via space-age desalination, potable water. And it's all one needs to turn an arid inland into a veritable garden of Eden.

No not millions of farmers just a few hundred thousand to begin with and as the place is terraformed via the most ambitious engineering project on the planet, allow all the other associated industries and entrepreneurs to follow suit, build the new towns and villages that would be required to support all the associated service industries. Some of which would be filled by the more ambitious Australians.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 10 December 2018 11:03:39 AM
Not proposing subsidised power for anything, be it pumping effluent uphill and then using the most convenient downhill as a pumped hydro, that then returns some of the off-peak power output for the initial pumping to storage with reusable treat effluent.

Not all nuclear power is twice as expensive as coal.

Ivy League Professor and economist, Robert Hargreaves claims in his book, Thorium, cheaper than coal. It could be done using MSR thorium for less than 2 cents per KwH.

Not against coal for this purpose, just current method.

Future and global warming require to rethink on coal which should be to cook it in a facility created for that purpose and after it's washed and the iron sulphides removed. Then in purpose-built ovens, the gas pumped directly to the end user or household, without any sizeable loss!

where it can be used as is or better yet, in ceramic fuel cells right there on the premises. To create on demand 24/7 electricity.

The exhaust product from this particular combination would be mostly pristine water vapour and the energy coefficient would be nudging 80% with little if any transmission losses!

Yes, it would cost a pretty penny, force our steel industry to not just rise again, but into a couple of decades of overdrive. Plus, several brand new startup high tech industries forced into being as probably government funded and facilitated co-ops?

Given that would be the smartest way we could do it and without selling the nation or our kid's heritage to this or that debt-laden foreign speculator!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 10 December 2018 11:37:09 AM
Alan B - I am not a climate expert but I believe even if you built your garden of Eden, the weather would still be too hot because the offshore winds don't get there now so your turning it green will not change that.

Quote "No not millions of farmers just a few hundred thousand to begin with"
You originally said on another thread
"This cannot be done by crowing ever more folk into overcrowed gridlocked cities. And can only be done by developing our arid interior desert heartland! where if intelligently developed could easily hold a hundred million more, without ever placing any strain on our stack em and rack em cities! "

No way are you going to get a hundred million people to move there.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 10 December 2018 11:57:48 AM
Philip S,
>It is evident you lack the capacity for an intelligent discussion.
That intellectually dishonest claim, and the out of context quotes you use to justify it, strongly suggest that you do - though I suspect you have the capacity but are just too lazy to use it.

You posted FIVE comments; in my reply less than a day later I responded to three of the four you've repeated this time. If you want a response to the other one, would you mind supplying some evidence of our "lower rate of tax going to the Government than other countries"?

Look at the context of the thread: You'd previously said:
>Your idea is just to borrow money or print money to make jobs, that will not work,
>unless you want 25 million public servants who do not generate wealth for anyone.
My reply included several reasons why that statement was false.
But you responded to that with a load of irrelevant stuff about the costs of employment, as if they somehow invalidated my claim. When I called you out on it, you responded with the first of your five comments:
>Looks like we will have to disagree, time will tell who was right.

Hence my response:
| Why settle for disagreement? I'd highlighted some logical flaws you based your
| argument on - are you really too stupid to admit you were wrong?
I was careful to use the past tense (I'd) to indicate that I was referring to what had already been posted, NOT what I was posting that time.
So, far from calling you stupid before you'd even seen my comment and had a chance to reply, I ASKED IF you were stupid because you still wanted to disagree AFTER I'd refuted a ridiculous statement you made.

As to the rest of your comment:
>1st Not sure why you put the word field in?
Because field robotics is where Australia is the world leader. We're not so good at military robotics (where the USA's way in front), or factory (aka industrial) robotics as your link shows.

(TBC later)
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 10 December 2018 2:01:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy