The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Greens discrimination bill has unintended consequences > Comments

Greens discrimination bill has unintended consequences : Comments

By Glenn Ward, published 26/11/2018

The Greens' Discrimination Free Schools Bill constrains religious freedom by removing exemptions that extend well beyond religious schools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Toni,

«Bollocks, most of the gay people I have met don't go in for any of that carry-on.»

Then they are not gay.

There are probably quite a few who would like to increase their numbers by counting your friends as "gay", but I personally know homosexual people who are not interested in politics, who like to remain private and would be insulted if they were referred to as "gay".

"Gay" is a political orientation, not a sexual one. In fact, people could be gay even while having an aversion in their private life to sexual intimacy with members of their own gender.

So you quote the Oxford dictionary? They too have taken a political side on this matter, not surprising for university academics!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 30 November 2018 1:23:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//"Gay" is a political orientation//

OK, fine, I can't be bothered to deal with your particular brand of stupidity at the moment. You win, and gayness is a political orientation... in exactly the same way that being left-handed, having blue eyes, being tall and preferring dogs to cats are political orientations.

[But we all know secretly that none of those things are actually political orientations]

//So you quote the Oxford dictionary?//

Yes, it's considered the foremost dictionary of the English language in the world. Certainly a greater lexicographical authority than Yuyutsu, and it's not hard to see why: the Oxford is descriptivist, so it's definitions are based on common usage. Whereas Yuyutsu's definitions are apparently totally arbitrary, and often bear no relation to the language the rest of us are speaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qT8ZYewYEY
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 30 November 2018 6:53:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Plantagenet.

I don't know of the Glenn that you're referring me as. But if it's a poster here, can you put a link down where he's commented? After all if you confuse him and me, it might be an encouragement that someone else has views similar to mine. I'd like to see for myself what Glenn has said.

Regarding your point of being careful who I say I'm a Christian to, is that what you really mean? Or is it more accurate to say "don't say your a Christian to anyone, keep it private." If that's the case then you fit in line with the concerns of this article. The greens seem to want Christians silent on things they disagree with. Not just for Greens to have their say, but for Christians to be silent while they are not. If that's the case, then what can I say? I will not apologize for being a Christian, and I won't keep it a secret either.

As for trying to convince me that my beliefs are wrong, you don't have much to go on there. I know God is real and I searched for Him enough to trust the bible. So far outside of unjustified criticisms, I haven't found any reason to doubt the bible. In fact, I've heard some amazing things in the archeological world that confirms what's written in the bible. From discovered texts like the Dead Sea scrolls that match closely if not exactly to the texts we currently use for translating bibles; to also archeological finds that confirm descriptions of the places or the people of that age. It presents a strong case that the bible hasn't been corrupted and rewritten. The Roman or the leaders of the church, I'm not worried about. I have the bible to put them to the test. That way their words and actions will be justified or they will be rejected.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 1 December 2018 4:33:34 AM
To Yuyutsu.

I would argue that Robin Hood was a criminal. It's whether he was considered justified in stealing from the rich and giving to the poor that he has become a story of a hero. But yes robbing people at gunpoint, knife point, or bow and arrow point in the woods all make a criminal as far as I can tell.

You said:

[though I must be careful here because I have not learnt about this from the Greens directly, only from the article]

That's a very fair point, and I'm glad you can see the reason for caution on this. If the article is correct in what it suggests, then I would say what I said before. Obey the law as much as you can, but don't follow the parts that stop you from obeying your faith. As long as you aren't harming anyone else then you should be justified in your commitment to God, and your commitment to teach others about God.

If on the other hand the article is blowing smoke to try to get us angry with the greens, then my advise still holds true regardless. Obey the law as much as you can, but don't when it stops you from staying true to your beliefs and following God (except if those convections harm others).

Regarding state funded schools, I don't think I agreed that they are worthless. All I meant was that if a person or an organization thinks they can do better, then they can start their own private school, or homeschool their kids. But personally I am glad that there are state funded schools so that the burden for paying for an education isn't resting on the people, many of whom probably couldn't afford to send their kids to a school out of their own money.

(Continued)
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 1 December 2018 4:41:24 AM
(Continued)

Regarding sin, and being encouraged to sin. Look at the world around us. It's up to the parents to raise their kids the right way, the would is already full of sin to tempt people into doing. The schools can help, but they can't raise the kids for you. Even if you start your own school and design it to the degree that you think is right, that won't be enough to rid the children from a world of sin that is around them. They need their parents to raise them up right for that. To not get angry, to be respectful, to not do drugs, or anything else. As well as have a good outlook; with knowing what's BS and what's reliable, what's moral and what to walk away from, even to have an open mind or a critical one. That's part of the parent's roles and responsibility.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 1 December 2018 4:42:52 AM
.....Ha! I just saw that Glen was the author of the article. Sorry for that Plantagenet.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 1 December 2018 4:52:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy