The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Assisted suicide November 2018 > Comments

Assisted suicide November 2018 : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 23/11/2018

The struggle for the legalisation of assisted suicide across the nation will be long and hard.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Another of Dave’s “bio-solid” euphemistic pieces. Calculated euphemisms clutter the world we live in. Let's just call it out: assisted dying is “murder by doctor” , so too is abortion!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 23 November 2018 9:32:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"murder by doctor" is an emotional description that is far from accurate, firstly because if the procedure were made legal then it would not be murder as murder is the illegal taking of a human life; secondly because it is 'assisted', which could mean simply the provision of a pill that could be taken whenever the potential suicide wishes to use it.

Assistance would not be confined to doctors.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 23 November 2018 10:04:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is such an emotional issue for so many people.
I've gone through the experience of
this with my mum who passed away at the end of January
this year. She was in her nineties and suffered from dementia.
It was difficult watching her go downhill.

She went from a fiercely independent proud woman into the
agony of a semi-vegetative state. Perhaps letting her die
in peace and serenity would have been a kinder option.
I'm not sure. Even had it been made available, I doubt very
much if I would have agreed to it. She was my mum - and when
she seemed to recognise me on my daily visits it made it
all seem better.

Assisted suicide - I personally feel should be for the
terminally ill, with no hope of recovery, who are in
constant pain. But even then there should be safe-guards
put in place to protect people.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 November 2018 10:11:58 AM
It's well past time that people were allowed to choose for themselves. We don't really need any more of the same old opinions on the subject. Those who want euthanasia should fight for it; those who don't need not be involved.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 November 2018 11:31:04 AM
Therein lies the problem - there are many who are not able to
fight for themselves and those who are may also not fully
realise what's involved. It's not as clear cut as all that
otherwise it would not be such a problem. The vulnerable need
our protection. As the old adage goes - "Where there's a will,
there's relatives."
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 November 2018 12:04:17 PM
A society which allows the killing of unborn babies, but comes over all 'caring' when it comes to euthanasia is a society badly in need of an overhaul. A woman has the right to kill another - infanticide - and have control (control that she chose not to exercise when a child was conceived) over her body, but other adults can't be trusted to know when they want to die. And, the general public has NOT been appointed to 'protect' old people who might not be able to make a decision on whether or not to die; there are doctors and laws to deal with that. Some virtue-signallers and people pretending they care seem to think that everyone would be able to knock granny off willy nilly if euthanasia became legal. Their attitude says more about them than it does about the rest of us.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 November 2018 12:36:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy