The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why we follow some leaders and not others > Comments

Why we follow some leaders and not others : Comments

By Darren Fleming, published 22/11/2018

At some level there is an emotional resonance that we feel that makes us think that a certain person can provide the answers we want.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Yes, as the colony of Australia's first President, Xi Jinping, will not be worse than Bishop Abbott.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 22 November 2018 8:18:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What utter rubbish - there are no leaders and we are not anyone's followers: the evil people mentioned in the article just happen to be today's predators - and we are on their menu!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 22 November 2018 9:26:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As I read the article I was formulating my thoughts. But then I got to this jewel - that Shorten hasn't resonated with the electorate because "perhaps his argument is too logical". "too logical" FFS. So apparently not only is Shorten (and his team) way ahead of the curve but the populace aren't smart enough to recognise it. So I realised that the author is so tied up in his ideological restraints that his views are not worth addressing.

For what its worth, people don't need an emotional connection to support this or that leader. They support leaders who seem to recognise the problems they face or perceive AND who seem to have a view as to how to practically address these problems.

I don't know that people had an emotional attachment to Howard (our last truly successful leader) but they saw that he he both saw their problems and had the wherewithal to fix them. Obama offered 'hope and change' and people bought into the vision after a decade of perceived failures by other leaders. They bought into Trump because they lost hope and wanted change and he offered the change they needed.

As Australia descends into ever greater financial and economic problems, the next truly accepted leader will offer understanding and solutions to it. Those may not be palatable (which is why the current crop can't even talk about it) but they will be popular. Hawke offered unpalatable solutions to avoiding us becoming the poor white trash of Asia and he was applauded. Howard offered unpalatable solutions to the problems created by the Keating government and he was re-elected over and over.

What we really need is someone who puts the truth above the popular. I don't see that person on the horizon
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 23 November 2018 11:22:11 AM
William Nicholas Willis.
Truth newspaper in Sydney was founded in August 1890 to be "The organ of radical democracy and Australian National Independence" and advocated "a republican Commonwealth created by the will of the whole people" but Truth went in 1958.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 23 November 2018 11:38:22 AM
Organised Crimea boss , Putin, is right to defend his Motherland against Ukraine's tug-boats . With Russia's media following his every word , the people are ready for the machine guns. Putin says UK is to launch gas attacks with enriched Chernobyl fossil fuel and London will burn like Poland did when it invaded Hitler's land of innocence.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 27 November 2018 8:47:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy