The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Property taxes are about to fall (and why this is bad news) > Comments

Property taxes are about to fall (and why this is bad news) : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 1/11/2018

The remarkable thing is just how dependent State Governments have become on property taxes – chiefly stamp duty on transfers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Bad news for recalcitrant state governments who fight like dogs competing for a meal, as they squabble over GST revenue.

Promised to abolish stamp duties in return for GST revenue. Up to me? Would see the GST revenue withheld until this regressive tax is abolished.

If states want to live within their means? They need to rationalise the veritable army of double handling bureaucrats whose sole existence is to create mountains of entirely unnecessary paperwork.

Done by granting far more regional autonomy coupled to a needs-based, means-tested, direct funding model for health and education, that circumvents/avoids the paper shuffling middlemen fee charging bureaucrats!

They also need to de-privatise state power supplies, so as to return the rivers of gold that once flowed from the state provision of essential service!

Traditionally, governments have acted like businesses determined to go bankrupt, by forever increasing margins, on the flawed assumption, of, whatever the market can bear!

When instead, the competent operator slices and pares margins to attract more foot traffic. Or in a government equivalent, more population numbers!

Queensland did that and decentralising, for a while under Sir Joh, Now we're saddled with a bunch flat out running a chook raffle? Let alone a state budget.

Queensland could be first among equals to build and roll out MSR thorium power plants and then use them to burn and re-burn other folks nuclear waste for a fee of annual billions!

Enough money to pay for the entire build cost as well as provide virtually costless carbon-free energy.

Always providing the empire building bureaucrats, in effective control, allow that along with a diminution in their own personal power, influence and salary "ENTITLEMENTS"!

Because as we send this power south and we could, we could ensure that this state was the leader and the wealthiest, most prosperous?successful, by simply taking the state Treasurer's hand out of the pocket of state-based enterprise and resident population.

Governments and their bureaucrats need to stop thinking its all about them and start doing the job, we taxpayers pay for.

After that, just GTF out of the way!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 1 November 2018 11:07:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep, the Palacechook can't run a chook raffle.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 1 November 2018 4:53:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan, I and many others agree with you, BUT, we are helpless to do anything about it, and the scumbags know it and they're laughing at us all the way to their bank.
I used to dream about one of the many suicide bombers targeting parliament house, when all the scum were in for another day of sleeping, er sorry debate.
But that was a wish too far away.
I imagined that the next round of scum would already be lining up to replace the first lot, so I thought, when they were in place, hit em' again, and keep on doing it until the scum realised it was not worth being a polly, if there was a chance they could die.
All I know is that they know they have it sweet and there's nothing we can do about it.
If you or anyone have any ideas as to how we can get rid of this joke called a 'democratic' system, I'm keen to hear it.
Until then we can only wring our hands and grimace or sigh a lot.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 3 November 2018 3:33:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy