The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The natural enemy: Serena Williams and the sporting umpire > Comments

The natural enemy: Serena Williams and the sporting umpire : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 12/9/2018

Should it matter this much? A wealthy, successful individual expressed fury at the most popular object of vitriol in any sport.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
“Jesus, get a life”

What, I should spend my down time watching what passes for entertainment these days Toni? I have restricted movement these days and watch a tennis match usually at least once a day, but apparently at my advanced age I could find more worthwhile things to do.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 13 September 2018 1:32:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To watch Cricket, Tennis, bike riding, marathon in fact any sport that goes on & on & on for hours requires a mentality that should be looked into for a cure asap.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 September 2018 8:46:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Turnbull's dummy spit is nearly as spectacular as Williams.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 13 September 2018 10:57:31 PM
//What, I should spend my down time watching what passes for entertainment these days Toni?//

Well, at the least you should watch something more entertaining than tennis. Here's a 10-hour video of paint drying that I found on youtube; it would seem to fit the bill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGA-GCq7JWM

//I have restricted movement these days and watch a tennis match usually at least once a day, but apparently at my advanced age I could find more worthwhile things to do.//

Yes. Because it's hard to think of much that is less worthwhile than watching two supposedly grown adults hitting a ball back and forth to each other over a net whilst engaging in a competition to see who can make the silliest noises. Or at least, I assume that's what that ridiculous scoring system is supposed to be keeping track of. It never ceases to me amaze me that same people who gave us the brilliant metric system also gave us a scoring system that goes 0, 15, 30... 40? Mental.

Read a book (or listen to an audio book, it's basically the same thing with less strain on the eyes), do a crossword, watch a documentary, crochet, teach yourself a new language... good grief, there a zillions of things to do that don't involve atrophying your brain by watching tennis.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 14 September 2018 7:42:06 AM
Big Nana & Toni,

I wanted both Serena and Naomi to win, but wasn't impressed with Serena's outburst. She's a champion, so she should have shrugged, copped it and moved on, to focus on trying to win the match. Who knows, she might have eventually won ?

Still, Naomi is a champion now, and probably, back in Japan, where they tend to disown mixed-race people, even if they are crowned Miss Japan, she's now become Japanese :)

And in Tahiti, she's their first world tennis champion ! Fantastique !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 15 September 2018 3:06:23 PM
There may be something else here that is worth a comment.

1. Serena is advertising a new foam-based bedding system and she touts it as being ultra healthy. You will no doubt have seen tha ad where she jumps on the bed and says how great it is.

2. If she is actually using this bed herself then as the foam warms up it will spread along with soft body tissues. This causes tissue tearing and results in poor sleep, muscle damage, tiredness, fatigue and short concentration span.

3. This could explain the on-court behaviour if it is indeed true that she is using this bedding system. A person fatigued by sleeping on foam would definitely have a very short temper and flare up at the least problems.

4. The only safe bedding system must have high elasticity and the highest elasticity comes from steel springs padded with cotton wadding and not plastic foams.
Posted by FredM, Monday, 17 September 2018 5:19:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy