The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Marriage > Comments

Marriage : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 30/8/2018

Marriage consists of mutual journeying towards the promise that we will be one flesh and ceases to exist when this journey ceases.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Banjo,

If Socrates encouraged us to know ourselves, then the referred article fails to understand him, since instead it encourages us to know that human that we identify with, rather than ourselves.

As the article shows, knowing that human which we call "me" is very useful for everyday problems such as gaining love, a good job, living peacefully with others, managing money, etc. Yet this cannot resolve our existential angst: no matter how well we know that human, his/her existence will remain temporary, his/her knowledge limited and his/her happiness partial, fleeting and alternating with misery.

Existential angst can only go away once you know your true self, and once you know your true self you will realise that you are none other than God.

But while the article provides techniques to better know the human which you call "me", how can you know your true self? religion is the path, but not everything that passes for "religion" today is indeed religious. While original founders of religions, such as Jesus, Buddha and others, perhaps also Socrates, knew themselves as God, the transmission of their teachings was necessarily imperfect because the people who transmitted their teachings have not yet known themselves. I wonder whether Plato truly understood the depth of Socrates' teachings.

What your dictionaries call 'God', I call 'god' (with a small 'g'). God (with a capital 'g') will never appear in dictionaries because no positive definition is possible.

gods are a human invention, but a very useful one because they can help on one's religious path. Whether those gods exist or otherwise, is not a relevant religious question: their purpose is to inspire and represent God for their worshippers, rather than to operate in the world.

Hypothesising about the existence of gods is therefore a silly waste of time, while the hypotheses as if God exists fails immediately over countless logical contradictions.

Yet you are, you are what you are and whether you exist or otherwise cannot change that. So once you discover yourself as God, you also discover how silly the question about God's existence is.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 7 September 2018 12:13:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote :

« … once you discover yourself as God, you also discover how silly the question about God's existence is »

Unfortunately, that voyage of discovery all too often results in the incarceration of one’s psyche in a prison of narcissism and self-centredness.

Some people have been known to become convinced that they are Napoleon, Jesus, the Virgin Mary, a soldier of God, a terrorist, or simply a bird capable of flying, and so on. I hope that neither you nor Peter Sellick have succeeded, so far, in persuading yourselves that you are God. I wouldn’t wish that on either of you.

Please keep your feet on the ground and tread safely – both of you. It’s not that bad being ordinary human beings !

You shouldn’t get into any trouble if you just content yourselves with your blind faith. I, for one, am willing to testify that it’s not because you both believe in a God that you say does not exist and for which “no positive definition is possible”, that you are not perfectly sane and harmless.

I can produce the following explanations as proof of your rationality, just in case :

Here is the link in the defence of Peter :

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=19431#345384

And here is the link in your defence, Yuyutsu :

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=19534#347230

Thank God I kept those references. They should help keep you both out of trouble - and safe from the claws of those crazy headshrinkers.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 8 September 2018 7:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As Banjo has already indicated, God is definitely only an hypothesis who by nature can never be accurately defined.

I would submit that the God which you seem to worship does not actually exist. You God is supposed to be a loving father who amongst other hypotheses "Will not suffer thy foot to be moved". How was it then, that such a being would allow his son to die such an agonising death. Jesus is purported to have cried out in anguish "Why hast thou forsaken me". I would submit that the reason why he received no reply was the obvious fact that the is no God. End of story.

Wake up to yourselves.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 8 September 2018 6:15:16 PM
Dear Banjo,

It is not only me and Peter - you too are God, and David too, and everyone and everything as well: one day you will realise this, until then I wish you a happy Jewish/Biblical New Year (5779).

---

Dear David,

«God is definitely only an hypothesis»

You must be joking or in a festive mood: next you are going to tell me that an hypothesis created this world, an hypothesis which is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent and omni-benevolent.

A happy new year for you too!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 9 September 2018 12:45:33 AM
There is a lot of generalizing and philosophizing when people talk about God existing and not existing.

David, for you I suggest to hear out anyone who says they've found God. From any religion if they say they've found God, that goes beyond God being a hypothesis, to God being an observation. If an honest conversation starting with "what happened, how did you find God, how do you know it was God?" If you can approach the topic without an accusational tone to prove God exists, you can hear it from their side and judge privitely what they've said for if they hold merit or not. I can assure you God is more then a hypothesis. But this kind of statement is in kind to others generalizations that are believed solely because they support your position. And any truth in the. Is not sought after to see if they are true or not.

One other thought to hold though is that there is philosophizing and assumptions for who God is as well. Though these kinds of things might be true and the understanding having merit, there is also error in many conversations about who God is. Let your understanding on any philosophy be tempered by the experiences of those you know. That way a generalization that holds merit is not mixed in with a generalization that can be dismissed by what we see in our lives.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Sunday, 9 September 2018 4:26:13 AM
NOT now.Soon et al.
You need to with a schizophrenic to understand how it is that people believe that they have found God. The mind does some very strange things and people truly believe what they are seeing or hearing is real.

I go back to my previous post. If there really was a God who cared for mankind in the way that you all believe, would he stand by and just let all the travail that has happened throughout the previous millennia. You are all poor delusional souls.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Sunday, 9 September 2018 9:24:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy