The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Trump, Middle East and conservative Christians > Comments

Trump, Middle East and conservative Christians : Comments

By Keith Suter, published 25/5/2018

Trump is, for them, a flawed warrior of Christ. He has immense moral imperfections but he can still also be a vehicle for God's plans.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Are you sure it’s a clarification, Not_Now.Soon?

<<For the sake of clarification.>>

How about I pretend to read your mind instead and claim that you are in fact conceding ground?

<<Please show where I've [ducked and weaved], because I know I've been replying to your comments.>>

Well, for starters, you still haven’t shown where I have said that Jesus will destroy the Jews for the Christians beyond “…what rache has said is correct”. It’s still possible to duck and weave while responding to another’s comments. All you need to do is to be selective about what it is that you respond to.

<<Now isn't one of your criticisms that I am trying to read your mind?>>

Indeed it is.

<<Yet here you show a double standard of reading my mind instead of taking the reasons I've given.>>

How has what I have said conflicted with your reason for not wanting to continue, or read more in to it than what was there? You’ll need to be more specific here. But if I have engaged in a bit of mind reading, then all I can do is apologise and say: doesn't it suck to be on the receiving end of it?

<<Voicing your opinions, is not the same as debunking anyone else's.>>

At no point did I assume that it was. It is, however, easy to distinguish between the two. One example of the latter in our debates has been your assertion that your god is a loving god - a claim I have shown unequivocally to be false.

P.S. Sorry about the delay in reply and the brevity of this response. I was both considering what I should say and indeed whether I should say something at all to someone who doubts my honesty. I had a longer response in mind, but I don’t see the point in providing a lengthy and considered response to someone who will simply pick and choose willy-nilly which of my words they will believe to be honest.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 22 June 2018 5:41:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, I will just add, Not-Now.Soon, that while raising my point about Yuyutsu and others like him was a big mistake on my part, I think your suspicions are wrong. Yuyutsu et al. are quite happy to converse with some pretty gosh darned vile people. Therefore, I do not buy the excuse that my style of debate is just not their “cup of tea”.

No, Like I said before, I think it’s about wanting to communicate only with those whom one thinks one can pull the wool over the eyes of.

<<Don't take it as a success that people don't want to talk to you though. That is the marred logic of a belittling troll who runs everyone away from them.>>

Indeed.

In fact, I myself have made the same point a few times over the years. No, what demonstrated the fact that I discredited Yuyutsu’s arguments was the debate itself:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6579&page=0

Feel free to point out how I am wrong about that, won’t you?
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 23 June 2018 1:13:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I said this earlier and think the words still have merit in their intent. From an earlier post.
You've told me that I am rude and our conversations have turn sour. Based on this I'm wondering if I should continue our conversations with each other at all. Our conversations seem to be a detrimental element to you, (you don't need to clarify that, nor defend it. It's not an accusation); and as for me as you've asked, what do I have to gain from this? There's nothing to gain from these conversations if even the small things are fought over and turned sour when I stand by my points. What point would there be to move on to larger points?

I think it would be better for me to leave you be within the conversations of these forums. Please accept my apology for how your taking my side of the conversation. I don't mean to defend it or explain it. Your surprise and disappointment is enough to apologize and move on). Good luck in your life, and I hope God shows Himself to you the way He showed Himself to me when I needed it. By His love and a means you can identify it to be from Him.

For my part in the debates with you AJ Philips I am sorry for how I've changed your tone, and caused the ire of this much anger to grow inside of you. (Not an accusation, just an apology). On a separate matter, I agree with your points made in a different thread regarding left politics and staying silent. The hierarchy point is a good observation worth it's consideration for explaining the silence in world affairs and events.

For the time being please just accept my apology and enjoy the silence from me on my end. I think for now I should give you space. Please just take the space I'm trying to give you as I mean it. As a gift. Probabley won't last forever but for now, hope it'll help heal the wounds of our debates.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 23 June 2018 3:06:56 AM
No, actually, Not_Now.Soon, I did not say that you were rude.

<<You've told me that I am rude and our conversations have turn sour.>>

But, yes, I did say that our conversation had turned sour, which was the reason for my tone so suddenly and uncharacteristically turning south.

<<Based on this I'm wondering if I should continue our conversations with each other at all.>>

As soon as you can point to where I have said that you have been rude, then I will accept this. Until then, I can only take this as mere butthurt.

<<Our conversations seem to be a detrimental element to you…>>

I’m not sure what you mean by that, but I’m sure the answer to it is ‘no’. On the contrary, I had always enjoyed our discussions immensely. Until, that is, this recent and unfortunate turn of events.

<<…what do I have to gain from this? There's nothing to gain from these conversations if even the small things are fought over and turned sour when I stand by my points.>>

Indeed.

However, that was not my question. My question was what you have to gain from proving that I am trying to save face.

By the way, you can stand by your points all you like. But they remain wrong, and for the reasons I have already outlined. There is no indignity in admitting that your suspicions were wrong, by the way.

<<What point would there be to move on to larger points? >>

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here, sorry.

<<I think it would be better for me to leave you be within the conversations of these forums.>>

If you must. To be honest, I expected that this day would come. You’re joining quite a large club there too, Not_Now.Soon. Just remember, though, that if you say something that requires rebutting, I will still rebut it. Your vow, however, will simply render you unable to respond. This is a frustrating irony which I presume all those who vow to shun me experience.

Continued…
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 23 June 2018 3:45:55 AM
…Continued

<<Please accept my apology for how your taking my side of the conversation.>>

Oh, I do. Believe me. You are a good person.

As I have said before, you remind me of myself when I was a Christian. Your beliefs are identical to how mine were and that’s rare now here in Australia.

<<Good luck in your life…>>

Thank you. And I thank you also for your well wishes. This certainly won’t be the last time I respond to something you say, but it appears as though it will be the last time you respond to me. That, of course, is sad, and you will be joining a large OLO club of non-responsive people who are obviously experiencing a serious case of butthurt. But this is not surprising as I had expected that you would join this unofficial group at some point. Every Christian for whom I highlight the evils of the Christian god does eventually. It’s how they avoid responding to my challenges.

<<For my part in the debates with you AJ Philips I am sorry for how I've changed your tone, and caused the ire of this much anger to grow inside of you.>>

Nah, don’t worry about it. Only I am responsible for me. In fact, I am sorry for reacting in the immature way I did last week. I promise this will not happen again.

<<On a separate matter, I agree with your points made in a different thread regarding left politics and staying silent.>>

Thanks for that. I thought you’d agree with me there.

<<For the time being please just accept my apology and enjoy the silence from me on my end. I think for now I should give you space.>>

There’s no need to apologise, Not_Now.Soon. I've taken far worse beatings than this on OLO over the last 11 years.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 23 June 2018 3:45:58 AM
Just a small correction. I'm not giving a vow of silence. Reread the past few posts if there's confusion. Either way enjoy your space. For however long it lasts.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 23 June 2018 4:08:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All