The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why aren’t more people 'factful'? > Comments

Why aren’t more people 'factful'? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 3/5/2018

Every group Rosling sought answers from saw the world as 'more frightening, more violent, and more hopeless - in short, more dramatic - than it really is'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
/cont
* Equally doomsayers were anxious to tell us in the 1960s and 70s that we were going to run out of food. Norm Baulaug thought that was wrong. He went out and created the green revolution, thus saving more lives than probably any other human who has ever lived. But Borlaug is relatively unknown and the doomsayers continue to garner fame for predicting the postulated forth-coming famine.

* the Y2K phenomenon. Pretty much anyone who was conversant with the computer industry in the 1990s knew that the Y2K problem was vastly overblown and would affect only some old relatively unimportant legacy systems. But the fear was easily fermented, especially because of the supposed significance of the date, and fortunes were made. In the end, the day came and went with nary a problem. Interestingly there was also major scares surround Y1K back in 999AD. We think we are so much more sophisticated than our predecessors, but ultimately we are all just humans with inherited human traits.

In the end we will remain fearful and factually ignorant because that's what the media feeds us. And they do so because that's what we want. I dream of a TV show or such like that spends its 30 minutes a night disabusing us of our factual errors and spreading good news. But I suspects such a show wouldn't last a week before ratings killed it
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 3 May 2018 2:05:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth,

"For example, the 'Stolen Generation' assertion: how many cases won in court ? One. "

I assume you refer to Trevorrow. But he wasn't a example of a stolen child in the sense meant by the term 'Stolen Generation'.

The Stolen Generation were supposedly stolen due to government decisions to remove children purely because they were aboriginal. But Trevorrow was removed in contravention of government policy - that's why he won the case. So stolen by a wrong-thinking nurse, not by racist government policy.

Alan B,

Entirely OT but I thought you'd appreciate this...

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/04/danish-thorium-molten-salt-reactor-receives-pre-seed-funding.html

Don't say I never do anything for you.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 3 May 2018 2:13:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
people are not factful because they love living a lie. That is why they reject their Creator, dream up fantasies like evolution and deny the truth personified (Jesus Christ). How else could the gw justify their ignorant conclusions.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 May 2018 2:53:34 PM
Mhaze,

In which State was it government policy to remove Aboriginal kids just because they were Aboriginal ? None. Any evidence ? Any legislation ? Anywhere ? And in any case, it would all be on their files which are readily available in each State's Archives. My wife had little trouble getting her file, by registering with the Archives here in Adelaide, filling out a form specifying what she wanted, and waiting for an hour or so. No problems.

She was on a list of Aboriginal children whose mothers were being supported by the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board (at least since the late forties) - i.e. far from taking children away, that Board paid single mothers to keep and look after their children.

All Aboriginal people down this way knew and respected Marj Angus, the social worker involved in the Trevorrow case. She's buried in the community cemetery at Point McLeay, the ex-Mission on Lake Alexandrina.

So, so far, only that one case. Any evidence of others ? Evidence is what counts, Mhaze.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 3 May 2018 3:04:58 PM
Thanks, mhaze! And I won't ever say, you've never done nothing for me! Cheers Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 3 May 2018 3:30:00 PM
Loudmouth,
'Twas never officially just because they were Aboriginal. But the Stolen Generations were removed from responsible parents whose actions were misconstrued as irresponsible (for instance the children being left with their grandmother for a few hours).
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 3 May 2018 3:33:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy