The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Motorists > Comments

Motorists : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 18/4/2018

The tax penalty for buying a new car is a key reason why Australia has an old car fleet, with the average age of cars in Australia around 10 years.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
We had to have this penalty to ensure our own locally manufactured cars got a look in. Now that we no longer make cars, the only reason for keeping these taxes is to bolster government revenue. XXX. Even so, dealer markups and service fees are a large part of cascading costs. As is the ubiquitous fuel tax. XXX. It's a bit like old MacDonald's farm. Except here an animal and another breed etc.! It's here a tax, there a tax. Here a fee, there a fee, there an excise, there an excise, here a duty, there a duty, here a service charge, here a service charge. I'm reliably informed there are over forty taxes that to a greater or lesser degree, impact on the price of a loaf of bread. This is what one can expect when our economy is over-reliant on immigration, services and a few holes in the ground. With absolutely no plans to do anything more than selling the joint to the Chinese. I like and admire most Chinese even married one of them. It's not the race or ethnicity that disturbs me. Just the leadership and a mad desire to not only rule the world but to own it and the peoples in it. Anyhow, you won't have to worry too long David, we'll all soon b driving affordable Chinese cars!? XXX. Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 18 April 2018 10:55:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Australians love their cars” is a real cliche if ever there was one. Who says Australians love four-wheeled lumps of metal and plastic designed for transport? There are many reasons for owning a car, but love sure ain't one of them. There is something seriously wrong with anyone loving an inanimate object. That the word 'love’ is even used in relation to a car spells out how scatty and immature some people are. There are too many cars. Too many cars in one household. Too many cars driven by incompetents, by drunks and druggies. Car drivers kill more people than people with guns do. We don't make the things in Australia any more - perhaps the love wasn't strong enough.

“Given how much they are taxed, regulated and fined, it is remarkable that Australians are still in love with their cars.”. In other words, people will just go on paying to have their cars, and the political class will keep on charging. Get over it!
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 18 April 2018 11:12:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an economy that imports all our cars, they will become more expensive and rationed by the application of tax! And a booming spare parts industry and repair shops. And a situation we can only expect to worsen, as we become more and more reliant on services and immigration to grow the economy. It's mad hatter's tea party economics. I pay you to open the door for me and you pay me to open it for you? Or we mine export or burn coal and more an more o it to try and draw down debt or pay for current imports. And where are the jobs for all these new folk or the infrastructure to serve the two million or so, temporary migrants now swarming as tourists, students and guest workers, as part of a service economy paradigm. As kick the ball Kickovich would say, it makes perfect sense. Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 18 April 2018 11:15:35 AM
And Julia Gillards "cash for clunkers" anti-culture scheme, (which saw-not the light of day), as a politicians view of how to make more of the poor, foot soldiers of the rich.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 18 April 2018 11:28:05 AM
Exactly Diver. Tension. You there, stand up straight and stop fainting in the ranks! It's verboten. Now you scum, you all look like a proper shower or a bag of farts tied up in the middle. Did I say you could smoke, ttbn. What's that? Scotch mist? Put it back you don't know where it's been. About face, By the left quick march. Diver! I said about-face, that's the direction of the cliff! Mind those rocks, don't want to have to clean up after you! Oops! That's my boat Cretin. Now, look what you've done! Who's going to fix that hole? Why can't you look where you are falling! You're always doing something like this! What are you? Some kind of masochistic attention seeker? Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 18 April 2018 11:51:12 AM
Sorry ttbn you are wrong on this one.

After living on & with, & sailing my yacht for 19 years, exploring 53,000 nautical miles of the Australian coast & the Pacific islands, I would be strange if I had not developed much affection, & even love for her.

Then after building my Triumph TR7 out of 2 wrecks, & driving her for 16 years, I again would be strange if I had not developed some affection for her. She is a 1980 model, my youngest car is 16 years old.

And David Leyonhjelm, you are also wrong. Many of us drive older cars because the newer things are such piles of junk, we would not waste our money on them. Of the 3 new cars my lady has had in the last 11 years one, the earlier one, was OK, but the last 2 have been more trouble than useful. They are also unpleasant to drive.

Yes they have bluetooth & reversing cameras, & other such muck, but as vehicles they are disgusting. It is going to take a lot more than a reduction in government charges to get me into any of the current crop of automotive white goods.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 18 April 2018 4:10:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy