The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Brexit: is the UK finished or about to have a new lease of life? > Comments

Brexit: is the UK finished or about to have a new lease of life? : Comments

By Keith Suter, published 2/1/2018

This time next year, if all goes according to plan, the UK will be on its way out of the European Union.March 2019 is the target.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Remember that the UK is meeting its climate commitments but bully boy Germany is not. I guess it is like having a chronically abusive partner that occasionally lavishes gifts. At some point enough is enough and you have to walk. I suspect that a decade from now Britain will be in a relatively better position than EU countries that are bogged down with restrictions. The advantages of European co-operation can be renegotiated on a case by case basis.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 2 January 2018 7:53:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brexit is not inevitable. The so-called referendum was really a plebiscite, it's not legally binding. After all the posturing the most likely outcome is that Britain will stay in the EU and pretend that it has left.
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 2 January 2018 11:50:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To quote Robbie Burns. Ah hae ma doots, ah hae ma doots.

I watched and listened to the Edinburgh Tattoo, just last night. And noted the musical selection seems to have included much of that composed during the Jacobite rebellion (speed bonnie boat) and a hymn, The (caledonian) to now absent Scots. Robert the Bruce and rebel of renown, William Wallace.

Rebellion seems to echo the length and breadth of that, working class, land?

Who don't seem to want to exit the EU? And told us so, with their officially approved musical selection/performance! Which culminated most strikingly, with the popular emotive song, Hallelujah.

[With particular hard to miss emphasis, given to the line, you never liked my music do ya.]

And why would they, when so much of their recent prosperity is inevitably linked to that particular, popular with the Scots, union!

England may have solved her Northern Ireland/Irish Republic nexus?

But has a way to go, I believe, before she can prevent a split supported by a popular referendum, of Scotland from the UK?

I sense a palatable mood for change! As opposed to the uninvited, annexing as they went, invaders from the south, deciding their, lessor future, for them?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 2 January 2018 12:38:30 PM
Alan B

Yes, I also noticed the Jacobite theme. The Scots were celebrating a rebellion against Prince Charles' ancestors, jolly bad manners.

The UK is a complete circus.
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 2 January 2018 2:56:32 PM
Brexit, like Trumpism and LNP etc. show the decline of WASP global influence, desperate to have citizens vote against their own interests through worshipping if not conservative protestant Christianity, then white nativism or nationalism.

IBT describes the UK experience, classic case of hearts over heads, bypassing rationality and what's good for them in favour of the top 0.01% who will preserve their status and privilege

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-voters-were-driven-by-xenophobia-narcissism-1649226
Posted by Andras Smith, Tuesday, 2 January 2018 7:10:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
England would be a damn sight better off if they told the Scots to go with the EU. It would save a fortune in welfare & medical costs, just to start with.

Brexit is about the most sensible thing the English have done in decades. They have been about the only positive contributor to the EU money pit for far too long.

Besides who wants to live in a dictatorship run by the bureaucrats. What could be worse than having a bunch of idiot know it all bureaucrats running everything, totally ignoring the wishes of the people?

Hell it would be like letting the clowns in Canberra run the place. Hang on a minute...
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 3 January 2018 9:28:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy