The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Should social media carry health warnings? > Comments

Should social media carry health warnings? : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 28/12/2017

The social media juggernaut Facebook has reportedly acknowledged engagement with its platform may potentially affect cognition or emotional wellbeing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Look, I and thousands of others don't use facebook and for good reason! They require far too much information, arguably so they can target your preferences, all of them, with selectively chosen advertising that's aimed directly at you, and to hell with your privacy!

Because to this highly impersonal juggernaut, your personal privacy is their very last consideration, as they turn you into a mindless consuming goldfish, living in a bowl with no privacy whatsoever!

All that matters is the flow of dollars paid by advertisers for the privilege to badger you with their products.

I tried facebook once, only to have our most intimate private conversation treated as a tradable commodity, and saw several agencies respond with offers of in their view, alternative products/tempting offers.

And cha-ching cha-ching, the sound of a distant till opening to engorge the monumental dollar flow; and why you should use facebook more often?

But only if you are a goldfish with a goldfish's attention span and don't mind thousands of inquisitorial eyes dissecting your every word, movement and appetites!

Some of which needs must remain your private picadillo, and often change with age, sentiment and system overload!

Different if you knowingly parade for a camera, yours. Knowing the whole world is privy to your "artistic expression" and rare seductive beauty!

Very few of us, that self assured or narcissistic! But would die with shame with that much exposure! Moreover, exposure you can't ever retrieve or recover!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 28 December 2017 9:02:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes. Let's pack some more cotton wool around the poor babies. Addiction and depression from using Facebook? I would not have thought people who use Facebook would be sensitive enough to have such feelings. Anyway, there are people who love to be offended, and many people who are happy to oblige them with the limited number of characters they are permitted – probably more than they need to grunt out their insults, bogan-style.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 December 2017 2:33:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let people have their drugs and damage themselves if so they wish - the scandal is that it is being advertised on otherwise-benign products on supermarket shelves and even children are exposed.

I boycott those who do it:

"Fountain" make excellent sauces, but since they added that dirty symbol on their bottles, I don't buy their products any more.

"Nuttelex" probably makes the healthiest margarines, but they now disgustingly print that dirty symbol on the slip of paper that covers the margarine, actually touching the food, so I stopped buying Nuttelex as a result.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 28 December 2017 2:34:33 PM
"Should social media carry health warnings?"

I'm going to answer this question without reading your article sorry, I wasted too much time reading some other authors verbal diarrhea and I'm now disinterested.

Also I think your question only needs require a simple response.
There does not seem to be a need to read the article when asking such a straightforward question.

So, I'm going to answer your question (above) with another question.
My question is this:

Should the government mandate that all citizens are triple-wrapped in bubble wrap and wear earmuffs and are blindfolded each morning at the start of each day, required to wear this new attire all day with their hands and feed bound, as a matter of responsibility and dedication to safety that someone might see, hear or do something that may upset or potentially even harm them or others?

How many agree that all humans should be bubble-wrapped blind-folded ear-muffed hands / feet bound in order to protect them from harm?

It's called 'learning to take responsibility for yourself'.
You know this is a stupid question, more verbal diarrhea, and more waste of my time.
When the so-called smart ones posting the questions are still just as dumb as anyone else you have to wonder about where we're really headed...

What's 2018 going to be anyone?
The year of 'mental retarded humans embracing total absurdity' I'm guessing...
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 29 December 2017 11:40:01 AM
How about,....ignorance is a personal achievement
Posted by ilmessaggio, Wednesday, 3 January 2018 3:13:05 PM
anyone with common sense and self esteem can surely handle Facebook and social Media.

The trick is to think for yourself, and weigh up anything on Social media by analysing facts and information through the honest filter of your own mind and trusted other sources of information.
Don't believe something just because you want to believe in a comfortable illusion
Ask yourself, is this true and why, and on what are they basing this opinion.

It's not rocket science, just common sense.
Posted by CHERFUL, Sunday, 7 January 2018 10:58:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy