The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is comedy still possible? > Comments

Is comedy still possible? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 6/12/2017

The crudity of the racism is the point of the plot, and of course the film is a straightforward attack on the overt and hidden racist culture of 1974 USA.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This is a lovely piece. Warm congratulations. Some of the sharpest criticisms come from satirists. I'm also ridiculously fond of "White Chicks". Two black men disguise themselves as two silly blondes. A ludicrous premise, but wonderfully done.
"Twelfth Night" is a little similar, with commentary everywhere on gender or sex roles. The commentary is sharp. Terry Crews and all the other black actors have a ball. But hmm, hard to make that kind of movie these days.
Posted by Waverley, Wednesday, 6 December 2017 9:49:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Don and wasn't the baked bean scene a blast from the past? oops, oops, oops. And not a racist joke or dialogue needing to be uttered!

Three abalone divers were caught by a storm of unprecedented ferocity. They somehow survived and were washed up on a deserted Island. A canny Scot an Englishman and an Aussie.

Anyhow when the pom had sized up the situation, decided this was indeed a serious situation.

The canny Scot decided he'd take a stroll along the foreshore to see if the sea had thrown up anything they might use to distil salt water.

Anyway, half a day into his walk he found a pile of drift wood with a few unusual bits included, some washed up fishing nets, that might come in handy and an old teapot or kettle or some such. And wonder of wonders it still held water.

With his treasures assembled and packed in a swag he'd constructed of the salvaged nets he hurried back to his companions.

The pom looked with a raised eyebrow at the old pot and wondered, what the devil? Then proceeded to rub it with a shirt sleeve to better understand what they were holding.

Several rubs later out came a huge cloud of billowing smoke from which appeared a genie! Who boomed, I've been trapped in that old oil pot for forty thousand years and now I am finally free, free!

For this I will grant my liberators three wishes! Chose wisely gentlemen.

The canny Scot, when he recovered from the shock of the sudden apparition decided, I would like to be hame wi' ma wee wifie and ma bonny wee bairns. Poof and he was gone.

The pom decided me too and poof, he followed.

The Aussie diver scratched his head, then looked around and said, it's lonely here. I wish those two blokes were back here. Boom, boom. Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 December 2017 11:18:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A great article Don.

Another favourite is the following scene "Springtime for Hitler and Germany" 20 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs

This is from The Producers where Brookes' character attempts to make a light-hearted musical flop by poking fun at the Nazis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(1967_film)#Plot
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 6 December 2017 12:43:54 PM
A Russian Jewish friend, long deceased, once told me this one:

An American TV reporter was in Red Square, Moscow, and approached a local for comment: "What do you think of Brezhnev?"

The Russian looked over his shoulder, both ways, then said: "Come with me."

He led the American down back alleys, up fire escapes, down into basements and emerged several blocks from Red Square. They crossed a park to a small lake, where they found a boat and he rowed the American out into the middle.

Then he said: "I like him."
Posted by calwest, Wednesday, 6 December 2017 4:58:05 PM
A more recent one, I was amused by Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle's comment on Brexit:

"The great thing is that we're doing Brexit by the book. Unfortunately that book is Lord of the Flies."
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 6 December 2017 5:32:33 PM
Three Doctors attending an international conference found themselves sharing drinks later in their hotel.

The American being brash and well lucubrated, started the conversation by, reporting his most difficult successful surgery.

Which seems to have be some GI grunt, who stepped on a land mine in Korea.

Why we searched high and low the area of a football park, found all the missing bits. Sewed it all back together. And today has a fine healthy family with two sons and hardly a visible scar to show where we'd been.

Anyhow the beer nursing English Surgeon, who'd been taking all this in. Said, there was this chappie who came off his bike doing a ton and ripped half his gut out, strewn across the M1!

we had the road closed and then formed a line of scrimmage to locate then wash all the various bits and pieces. Which we reconnected in a three day long operation with five teams.

Anyhow, this was just too much for the Russian who choked on his vodka and nearly set the building alight as he did his best to emulate a vodka spitting flame thrower spraying a volatile mix over a candle.

Listen you pair of BS bar stewards, he said, behind ze iron curtain, vere ze lips are sealed. Ze tonsils must come out via the anus sphincter. Now beat that you pair of BS bar stewards.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 December 2017 6:27:43 PM
A busy Surgeon rushing to keep up with his workload, had a requisition shoved under his nose for his signature. He whipped his hand into a breast pocket and pulled out a renal thermometer.

I say, he said, some bum's got my Biro.

Two men walked into a bar. You'd think one of them would have seen it!

Dave had a week away at a nudist colony for a holiday. And came home severely sunburned where his mum never kissed him. Groaning with both pain and embarrassment. He sought his mum's advice.

Mum said, try a little cream son. Of course, meaning the sunburn cream in the bathroom cabinet.

Anyhow, around a half hour later his girlfriend Myrtle passed by the milking shed, saw Dave, his old fella out and stirring the full cream can with it.

Aw gee Dave, she said, I didn't know you had to fill it like a fountian pen!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 December 2017 6:48:04 PM
Don, it is not a laughing matter. Who can risk the fate of Bill Leak?
Posted by Leslie, Thursday, 7 December 2017 12:52:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy