The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Give me your entrepreneurial masses… > Comments

Give me your entrepreneurial masses… : Comments

By Vladimir Vinokurov, published 10/11/2017

What do Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali, Google co-founder Sergey Brin and Freddie Mercury have in common? They were refugees.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
So-called refugees, economic immigrants or just plain illegals are no smarter than locals. Some are much more useless than locals -e.g the 85% of a certain group who are still on the dole after 5 years. Any form of immigration reduces the living standards of the whole population. GDP goes up, but individual wealth plunges.

Immigration, no matter what sort, was used to disguise the effect of the GFC in Australia; it is used cynically by poiticians to produce fake 'growth' and to garner votes from certain ethnic groups.

There no justification whatsoever for our current mass immigration or intake of burdensome people claiming to be refugees.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 10 November 2017 8:54:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
....Auzkong...
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 10 November 2017 9:00:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Give me your entrepreneurial masses"

Give me a break!

Here we go again.
When is the needle ever coming off this broken record?

"What do Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali, Google co-founder Sergey Brin and Freddie Mercury have in common?"

They were all born to European parents and/or in European cultures.

Unlike 99% of today's refugees and 80% of immigrants.

Oh, and let's conflate those two groups into one, yet again.

"When local workers are in short supply" you don't have 700,000 unemployed.

"about one-third of Western Australians are now immigrants."

Goodbye, WA. It was nice knowing you.

"We can 'stop the boats' by repealing these laws."

We can also stop having any control over the border whatsoever.

With no penalty for visa-less travel, there would effectively be no impediment for ANYONE in the WHOLE WORLD to enter Australia, at any time, in any number.

A million people could arrive in one day. And nobody could refuse them. Idiocy.
Posted by Shockadelic, Friday, 10 November 2017 10:36:25 AM
"We can 'stop the boats' by repealing these laws."

We sure can. Just because Australia signed the Refugee Convention back in 1951, and has carried that through to the current entirely different situation, does not mean it's binding i.e. when countries signed a UN agreement, it is NOT binding unless the signatory country actually enacts their own laws to make it so. I don't know what other countries did, but silly old Australia, actually put us under an obligation via an AUSTRALIAN Act.

That could be changed at any time - if we had politicians more interested in Australia than word opinion.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 10 November 2017 11:06:04 AM
There are no refugees on Manus, only welfare shopping illegal gatecrashers who came on illegal boats of their own accord.

They are free to go any time they like, but of course, if they went home they would have to buy their own food & medical attention. Hell they might even have to work for a living.

With a name like Vinokurov, I wonder how many citizenships this bloke holds, & where his loyalty lies?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 10 November 2017 11:33:55 AM
The right kind of economic migrants, are what we need and hardly ever get, given global competition for them.

Moreover a few of them would be seriously challenged by a good character test.

That said, there's a good case for encouraging self funded and well heeled retirees. First and foremost, they are usually well past child bearing/producing age. Need lots of basic Australian owned and operated, labour/services, can afford, Australian private health cover and Australian burial services.

Can be sent/directed to regions with little or no economic activity save Australian private health care/services.

At the end of the day, when their relatively short stay ends, with their passing! Their real estate becomes part of the national estate and the economic stimulus they could impart to still largely undeveloped regions! Might well leave those regions, as self regenerating economic provinces that like the Gold coast, may from time to time, stagnate? But just never ever go backwards, thanks to re-population/decentralisation strategies, that would make the whole thing tick.

Finally, if we do want to encourage fair dinkum entrepreneurs here, along with their well-padded bank balances, we need fair dinkum, root and branch tax reform! No question! NONE!

And it needs to be coupled to the world's cheapest energy and an assured reliable water supply! And all doable and or, only ever prevented by endless prevaricating politicians, I believe, for vicarious, self serving reasons!

Please ex-plane?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 10 November 2017 11:36:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy