The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Alan Austin does himself a disservice > Comments

Alan Austin does himself a disservice : Comments

By Calum Thwaites, published 5/9/2017

If Austin is keen to do a 'Media Watch' review of reporting on the QUT case, he would do well to refresh his memory of the ABC's and Fairfax media's coverage.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Student computer rooms at universities are usually very busy places, used around the clock and on weekends. Students often have to book times to use a computer. But, in my limited experience, computer rooms set aside for Indigenous students tend to be, shall we say, lightly used. Let's be honest: they're often empty - Indigenous students use the mainstream computer rooms with their non-Indigenous class-mates. I've been on-campus at QUT, Kangaroo Point Campus, and had to wait to use a computer, there was a line of us, waiting impatiently with urgent assignments to complete.

Twenty-five-odd years ago, I managed an Indigenous student space at a SA campus: it had a room for students to relax in, a work-room, and a computer room. Students would often bring their non-Indigenous friends to use the computer room together, but otherwise it was usually empty. There may have been occasions when non-Indigenous students asked if they could use one of the computers, and if so, I wouldn't have said no. The equipment was provided by the campus, after all, not by any specific Indigenous funds from Canberra.

I don't know how specifically-Indigenous spaces are used now, perhaps in the more assertive and segregationist internal atmosphere of Indigenous programs these days, there is more hostility to non-Indigenous students having anything to do with Indigenous students on the part of staff: but I couldn't possibly comment.

There are good and bad ways of handling issues, and in my view, Ms Prior's way was not appropriate.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 5 September 2017 10:44:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If people don't know that abc makes up fake news by now they are likely to die in ignorance. Yes private media does it as well but not at tax payer expense.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 September 2017 11:21:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hear, hear and well said Joe!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 5 September 2017 5:01:22 PM
I don't know why any one is surprised. Alan Austin is known for writing factually deficient and politically biased polemics masquerading as analysis.

However, the Independent Australian is where journalism goes to die.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 8 September 2017 5:49:05 AM
Unfortunately, there are quite a few factual inaccuracies in this "story".
Most of the major ones have been dealt with in this article, written in response to Mr Thwaites:

https://independentaustralia.net/business/business-display/calum-thwaites-peddles-murdochs-falsehoods-in-on-line-opinion,10710

Happy to discuss, as always ...
Posted by Alan Austin, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 3:43:05 PM
Alan,

I find your articles to only have a distant relation to the truth. Your deliberate cherry picking /omission of facts that suit your particular rant creates articles that are far more mendacious than anything from any reputable news media including NewsCorp.

You have not substantiated any criticism of Calum Thwait. It was clear from the outset that Cindy Prior's claim to be offended was extremely feeble and her attempts to extract money from the students and QUT using the AHRC were simple extortion.

1. The Coroner like the AHRC does not have the power to start or stop prosecutions but its determination on a case will strongly influence whether prosecutions proceed. The failure of the AHRC to act responsibly and inform Ms Prior of the weakness of her case and terminate the proceeding while making this clear led to a frivolous law suit, Cindy Prior now owing $250 000 in damages, and the reputation of the AHRC trashed.

2. You have provided no evidence that the AHRC tried to get CP to terminate her extortion attempts.

3. When it became apparent that CP intended to pursue the students, it was incumbent on the AHRC to give them more than a few days to prepare for the mediation and more than a single short mediation meeting to settle the issue. The fact that most of the students had insufficient notice to get to the meeting highlights the shoddy work of the AHRC.

4 The comment by the Judge:
"It seems that Ms Prior's solicitor, QUT and the Commission all knew that the respondents had not previously been notified of the proceedings in the Commission. To say the least, it is surprising that those parties assumed that it was appropriate to proceed in that way... one cannot but wonder why they were so treated."
In judicial terms, this is a stern rebuke. Surprise indicates that the action the AHRC differed wildly with the appropriate actions.

5 Your footnote to Calum is spiteful and unprofessional and typical of the Irrelevant Australia blog for which you write.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 15 September 2017 9:29:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy