The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The sad reality of ‘Buy Queensland’ > Comments

The sad reality of ‘Buy Queensland’ : Comments

By Graham Young, published 18/8/2017

Queensland’s new beggar-my-neighbour state purchasing policy, apart from being a dog whistle to neo-protectionist One Nation voters, guarantees falling living standards for all of us.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Buy Queensland ought to be replaced by buy Australia. We are4 after all, just one nation and our own economy ought to be the one benefitting from the economic flow on factors (7X?) inherent in that paradigm.

As for wages blow outs, it's not wages which at 16% of the cost of manufacture/production killing our economies. But rather, the prohibitive and rising cost of energy driving business into bankruptcy or offshore!

Now, you can blame many entities for this problem and point a finger at gormless pollies, who'd likely be challenged running a chook raffle, let alone a multibillion dollar economy.

Simply put, we can have coal fired power and a growing robust economy! Just not both simultaneously! Nor can the energy market be left in the hands of indolent unimaginative government nor price gouging, tax avoiding, profit repatriating foreign nationalists, with debt and dividend servicing part of a highly profitable business model! With we Aussies, the chained to the millstone, captive cash cow market tasked with ensuring that the government or foreign entity, snout deep in the trough, keeps chomping and slurping away in this (arrested development) gravy!

If we are to build a new power station let it be a walk away safe molten salt thorium reactor, like the 350 MW FUJI that Brazil is contemplating? With affordable power back in play and wages maintained at sensible levels by the cooperative capitalist model. We can lock horns with any economy anywhere!

After that, what is the most pressing is affordable water! And that relies on new space age innovation and deionization dialysis desalination. that #1/ provides 90% potable water, #2/ at quarter of the cost of traditional desal! Thereby providing cost effective irrigation wherever pipes can be laid!

The time for talk/endless prevarication and blind leading the blind or the captives of mindless ideological imperatives is over! Just get on and do it! J.B. Petersen would!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 18 August 2017 4:57:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I disagree with this completely Graham. In fact I think we should go a hell of a lot further.

We should make it mandatory that any company wishing to exploit Queensland resources should have to source all their plant & equipment in at least Australia, if not Queensland. In the days before shipping became so cheap & able to move very large bits of stuff we designed & built heavy mining equipment here, & should still be doing it.

It is ridiculous to allow US built draglines to be built, then dismantled, shipped to Oz then reassembled on site. It is also ridiculous that we allow complete crushing mills to be imported from Korea, & rail rolling stock to be imported also.

We should be making a good buck from anyone who wishes to profit from our resources, not just PAYE tax & a bit of royalty.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 19 August 2017 2:18:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'guarantees falling living standards for all of us'
......whether by sea, or by air.....living standards are going to drop and there's nothing anyone can do about it in the short term, if ever.
In order to do anything there needs to be a commitment, not just by politicians but the voters who put them there.
Voters are totally oblivious to things done in an insidious manner, a little today, a little tomorrow and before you know it it's gone....and that's the new approach by governments to the dormant masses.
Short term views for a short term, gimme, gimme, mine, mine, populace.
Buy Queensland is just another jingoistic political ploy to distract the ignorant crowd with it's head immersed it's phone.
A populace in a hurry to go nowhere as soon as possible only to find out they were better off where they were, before they started.
As I mentioned once before, Australians are merely here to dig it out of the ground for the international investors...no more, no less.
When a country walks away from it's manufacturing, as underdeveloped as it was, it walks away from self determination.
The lucky country is running out of luck and heading for pain
Posted by ilmessaggio, Saturday, 19 August 2017 6:56:44 PM
Hi Graham.
I voted for Pauline Hanson and I don't for one second buy any of this 'Buy Queensland' garbage (I reside in QLD).

I've said it before - if Labor are selling it, I sure as hell don't want it.
They're a bunch of progressive idiots anyway, I don't understand why Queenslanders vote for them, they can't be trusted.

Sure I'm all for supporting local business, but the responsibility to get value for money for all Queensland taxpayers is a higher priority in the scale of things.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 21 August 2017 4:17:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy