The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The relentless march of the microchips > Comments

The relentless march of the microchips : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 27/7/2017

Will we become, as some noted scientists and technologists have suggested, a species surpassed and then subjugated by its own machinery?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Already living under siege by all those electronic gadgets, I am so glad that I do not have that long to live in this kind of world any more. I feel pity for the younger generations who will have to endure even more of that misery in their lifetime - perhaps they will be better off ending their life instead.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 27 July 2017 8:35:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why not?
We, as a species of animals, have already evolved way past the limits of our intelligence.
Sooner or later something else will evolve that accepts its own limits and acts within those limits.
It may just as well be a machine.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 27 July 2017 9:30:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robots will take our jobs, with the next in line, sacrosanct white collar professions? Bankers, teachers, lawyers, chemists, drivers, pilots, soldiers, sailors.

Some as strap on eco skeletons some as remotely controlled and some as completely autonomous?

Meaning a universal wage would be mandatory, unless you want economies to fall in big heaps and or civilisation driven back to the stone age?

Perhaps then we'll be able to afford (yabba dabba do) lawyers, (giddy up Barney) taxis and (Betty) tutors for Bam Bam and Bubbles? ( WILMA!)

Seriously, we will need to designing these things; and we will, as helpers and partners, with a help only missive! And essential for our future survival as a species, out in the new frontiers among the stars!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 27 July 2017 9:54:17 AM
Technology is already sending many of the younger generation broke.

My youngest daughter, [26] was complaining about her mobile phone bill the other day. I was horrified to hear that her mobile phone monthly bill is almost double my entire communications bill including land line, internet & mobile. She didn't mention her land line & net accounts.

My wife then added that hers was something similar. $200+ a month just to yabber into a little black box does seen ridiculous to me, when mine costs less than that a year.

Of course the kids do complain I don't bother to take mine with me, but you see, I don't need to. My 37 year old daily driver car doesn't have a computer in it, not even a single microchip, so rather than calling for help or a tow truck if it were to stop, nothing in it is beyond human comprehension. Thus I can fix it with a screw driver, hammer & a bit of fencing wire, on the side of the road, if ever it does break down.

This is much preferable to the modern stuff you are not game to touch, when the slightest touch can cost you thousands in a puff of smoke.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 27 July 2017 11:52:33 AM
All this is business as usual stuff but in the longer term that will end.
The period from the 1930s through to the end of that century was very
special and unique in history and it will not happen again.
Every gain will require an increasing amount of effort.
Try y6our local library for Joseph Trainter's book the Collapse of
Complex Societies. There are some very sobering pointers there.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 1 August 2017 3:55:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy