The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The universal lesson of East Timor > Comments

The universal lesson of East Timor : Comments

By John Pilger, published 15/5/2017

The people of Timor-Leste have demanded and won the right to negotiate before the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) a legal maritime boundary and a proper share of the oil and gas.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The Indonesian occupation of the province/country was certainly heavy handed, and there have been confirmed killings, but Pilger's testimony is patchy to say the least. How many deaths did he count and how many deaths did the priest count? So 200,000 deaths in the country, according to the Parliamentary committee, while Suharto was in power. But Suharto was in power 30 years, so that's 7,000 or so a year .. that's actually close to the natural death rate, I think, but I suppose that's not what the Parliamentary committee meant. So how did they know? It was my impression at the time that activists threw around all sorts of figures in order to get attention for their cause. I repeat there were certainly murders but regurgitating wild figures doesn't help. As for the oil and gas revenues I didn't think there was any revenue at all from the disputed area. You'll note Pilger says from the area, meaning an undisputed part. My impression was that East Timor wanted all the royalties and never mind the legalities, and the Australian government has more or less given up and agreed.
Posted by curmudgeonathome, Monday, 15 May 2017 10:09:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure what you want John. Do you want truth and reconciliation or just renewed hostilities between East Timor and Sabre rattling neighbor Indonesia?

You seem to be the one making oil/gas the central issue!?

We will stop relying on it for energy, when something far cheaper and all but exhaustible for as far ahead as it is possible to foresee, beckons?

And that something is thorium.

Many eminent scientists will agree and have do so, that thorium is the cheapest, easiest to deploy energy source. Given reactors the size of shipping containers can be mass produced and shipped virtually anywhere and once fired up, may not need to be refueled for 100 years.

Why just 8 grams will power my house and car and all my material needs for 100 years. The cost of recovering that amount, just $100.00. Meaning East Timor would be better served if she asked us to build/finance two or three for her, and in so doing, light up and turbocharge her economy! Why they could, with endless cheap power run both textile and foot ware factories using our raw material, their energy and labor, in a win/win outcome for us both!

And able to be supported by thorium powered fast ferries carrying raw materials and finished products both ways? Always providing the energy is cheap enough to recover and reuse toxic chemicals, once just tossed into the environment.

Recovering them may be energy dependent and unaffordable if that is as costly as ours currently is, thanks to mindless privatization!

Search the world over, and there's little or no evidence this results in better competition, lower prices or genuinely better service! Just a closet bulging with the Emperor's new clothes?

I think Australia may be persuaded to negotiate an new deal, but not with a virtual gun held to her head, nor if some trouble making activists with an agenda, or Putin's puppets, involve themselves as a disruptive influence that shatters any and all possibility of a reasonable renegotiated deal. We don't have to!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 15 May 2017 11:25:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If East Timor had become a far Right wing Country... what would Mr Pilger's position be then.... The same ?

If Australia was presently a far left wing 'Workers Paradise' ..... what would Mr Pilger's position be then...... The same ?

Just wondering....
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 15 May 2017 3:39:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy