The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The importance of racial diversity on our screens > Comments

The importance of racial diversity on our screens : Comments

By Patricia Edgar, published 28/2/2017

Interracial couple Richard and Mildred Loving married in 1958, but the state of Virginia where they lived, first jailed and humiliated, then banished them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Diversity is important in any artistic medium -
especially films. How boring would films be without
diversity. We desperately need more diverse
casting, more diverse scripts, more diverse story
telling. Not the same old war films, and action/violence
on screen. We need more diverse characters - and avoidance
of stereotyping. I did not see the film, "Moonlight,"
yet. I did see "La La Land," (did not love it as I thought
I would but it was better than "Allied,"). I did see "Lion,"
(bad editing). The films I do
remember that made an impact were
because they were not only well acted,
they had darn good
scripts, and characters - and stories to tell:

1) Hotel Rwanda
2) A Time to Kill
3) In the heat of the Night
4) The Help
5) The Power of One
6) The Pursuit of Happyness
7) Dreamgirls
8) Roots
There were many others. But these will do for now.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 3:59:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow. The fifties are certainly alive and well. I'm puzzled how many pig-ignorant comments can be made on just the one thread, and before tea-time too.

Some of you Neanderthals need to somehow get it through your thick heads that Australia has always been 'racially' diverse. There have always been mixed marriages. And, as Darwin would suggest, they have tended to produce better-looking and more intelligent kids. Perhaps you should have tried it. Darn, too late: you're stuck with ugly, dumb kids.

Australia is mostly an urban society. In cities, people mix and match at will. There is far more of it than a generation or two ago, and a hell of a lot more of it to come. Even so, you would have been surprised how common it has always been for non-Anglo people, as minorities surrounded by an Anglo majority: there's always been a leakage away from pure mongrel-Anglo.

In most Australian states, it's never been illegal for Aboriginal people to marry non-Aboriginal people. To mix casually, yes, that has often been illegal: white blokes could be jailed for 'consorting' in SA until about 1962. But usually they were asked beforehand what their intentions were, and if they did not include marriage, they were warned off. But there were plenty of 'serious intentions'.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 4:23:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And the Oscar for Best Documentary Short goes to…”ISIS – Al Qaeda”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/and-the-oscar-for-best-documentary-short-goes-toisis-al-qaeda/5577036
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 5:01:02 PM
//I'm puzzled how many pig-ignorant comments can be made on just the one thread, and before tea-time too.//

It helps if you start drinking at lunchtime.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 6:18:12 PM
I've always liked Jane Hutcheon (ABC)
See: http://janehutcheon.com/bio

...and Bill and Ben. But are they hybrids, purebreds or just GMO's ? See: www.smallfootprintfamily.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 10:02:36 AM
Hi AC,

Thanks for that pro-Assad, pro-Russian web-site. We all need to know how the enemy is thinking.

So the White Helmets are rescuing and treating people, more than eighty thousand to date, and even ISIS fighters ? Isn't that what hospitals, ambulance crews and humanitarian organisations like the Red Cross etc. are supposed to do: stay neutral in who they rescue and who they don't ?

Even Israel has been treating wounded ISIS fighters (hopefully before they take them out and shoot them: just kidding). Is that the only source of stories that Israel secretly backs ISIS ?

Anything else ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 2 March 2017 7:40:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy