The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The importance of racial diversity on our screens > Comments

The importance of racial diversity on our screens : Comments

By Patricia Edgar, published 28/2/2017

Interracial couple Richard and Mildred Loving married in 1958, but the state of Virginia where they lived, first jailed and humiliated, then banished them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The relevance of this "stuff" to Australians us absolutely zero, zilch and none! But I remember the joy of my mother on hearing Harry Belafonte sing the "banana boat song" in the 1950's.

It's interesting that this article drops him out of the picture on this subject.
He pretty well defined the American Negro. Raised up by the boot straps from a violent family life, living amongst poverty and violence, which so defines not only the Negro, but any other ethnic groups rendered invisible by the ignorance of a world they were born into.

Sympathy? I don't feel particularly sensitive towards their plight! But I firmly believe, justice for any group in society afflicted by bad race relations, should start at the ground floor with serious defence resources in a court room.

It is not sensible to allow discrimination to predominate at this level!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 9:23:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, to start with, it is not in the least important to have “racial diversity on our screens”. Nobody gives a damn about racial diversity, and many of us are sick and tired of hearing about it. Australia was settled by the Brits, is still mainly a white, Anglo-Saxon country with a growing number of non-white immigrants, many of whom are not suitable to Australian society. Big deal! We are not unlike most other silly Western countries intent on cultural suicide.

And, we are sick and tired of having political stupidity shoved down our throats all the time; and, we certainly don't need reminding that there are lots of non-white people in the country.

Then, I move past the headline, and find that it is all about America and American blacks. Let's stick to Australia, Patricia; we have very little to learn from America when it comes to race relations.

People can marry who they damn well please; but they don't deserve a medal for it.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 10:09:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've gotta say that after all the Hollywood freaks came out against the rest of the country in regards to Trump I really could not care less about any of them.

I think they are all total and absolute scum who think they are more important than they are.
They are just actors, and these stupid awards that crown them as royalty is part of the stupid reason they think they are above everyone else.

I'm tired of TV always pushing some PC message.
Some token black person or a token gay put in just for show, so minorities won't get mad.
It makes me sick that they do it just to forcefeed a political message.

Look at female Ghostbusters?
You expect us to pay for this crap?

My only consolation is that all these fake celebrities have STD's and that they will become old and ugly like everyone else and that it will hit them a whole lot harder.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 10:27:48 AM
Armchair Critic

**all these fake celebrities have STD's **

How do you know this? Yuk. Can you catch it over the TV?
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 11:07:14 AM
"The importance of racial diversity on our screens" had me thinking who are the pettiest of non-whites on SBS and ABC

1. Janice Petersen, pretty. SBS World News. Mixed race, originally from South Africa. http://www.sbs.com.au/news/author/janice-petersen

2. Lee Lin Chin, ethnic Chinese. Knowledgable, witty. I call her "Madame Scruff" http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2007/10/10/lee-lin-chin

And the Winner is:

3. Kumi Taguchi, ABC News 24. Half ethnic Japanese. Cool name. http://www.abc.net.au/compass/team/kumitaguchi.htm

Anybody got other racially diverse screen personalities?
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:00:12 PM
I'm in love Kumi :)

http://www.abc.net.au/tours/images/kumi_taguc_m2260939.jpg

Kumi Taguchi, Afternoon Live, ABC News 24 (TV)

A classically trained violinist turned journalist, Kumi Taguchi is a presenter on Afternoon Live at 3.00pm on ABC News 24 from Monday to Friday.

Having started her media career in the backrooms of The 7.30 Report, Kumi then worked in Hong Kong as a news anchor, producer and editor but returned the ABC in 2010 where she has also presented on ABC Local Radio, 7.00pm news and ABC News Breakfast.

You can just easily find Kumi curled up a with a good book or in a yoga pose, Kumi loves being with her daughter, connecting with people and appreciating the simple things in life.

Bliss! ;) More at http://www.abc.net.au/tours/stories/s4420766.htm
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:10:36 PM
As other posters have noted, the author's concerns have no relevance to Australian audiences. No one here gives a jot about racial mix on screens. The business about black actors and such being overlooked in last year's Oscars was much more likely to be due to a statistical blip than any prejudice in this day and age in Hollywood. Some black actors were able to get publicity out of it. This year's nominations, however, may be the result of last year's criticisms.

Maybe its time the author moved on to other issues.
Posted by curmudgeonathome, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:27:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Diver Dan,
On this occasion I'm guilty of Clickbait.
http://www.dailyviralupdates.com/22-gorgeous-celebrities-who-reportedly-have-stds/

The neurotic, twisted and conceited celebrities with their beauty creams, fashion labels and expensive trainwreck lifestyles think that we should all bow down to them because they know everything.
They're totally disconnected with reality.

The vampires live in their expensive gated communities whilst promoting civil unrest with Black Lives Matter and all these other violent leftist activist movements for the innocent to get caught up in...

I liked 'Hidden Figures' more than 'Fences', but I haven't seen 'Moonlight' yet.
'Hidden Figures' was an excellent movie.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:32:12 PM
I'm reminded of a comment by Steven Crowder when challenged about the racial mix of a panel he was part of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvpRz2q470

I don't know the authors views across enough issues to know if it applies specifically but do think the Crowder comment highlights a much greater problem than the specifics of racial or other topical diversity pressures.

For those who don't follow links Crowder makes the point after being challenged about the racial make-up of the panel to highlight the different positions the panellists hold then makes the comment "The only diversity you don't care about is that of intellectual diversity"

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 2:07:42 PM
Absolutely agree with the principle! Which needs to rely on merit not color quotas! And just as germane in the heart of darkest Africa and white actors

! That said, I'd hate to believe there was any remnant element of racism on the silver screen after of the towering, memorable performances that glue one to the chair, delivered by some of our very well tanned brothers and sisters!

I thought all that crap was just part of a regrettable history and confined to the annuls of history ( Nazi Germany, South Africa and America's deep, "red neck" south) Perhaps some points could be made if all the colored actors turned up at the oscars, with most of their faces painted white? Or accepted meritorious commendation so attired and made up? And or by others (whites) made up as a parody or painted caricature of Al Johnson?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 28 February 2017 2:55:54 PM
Quotas for Oscars now.

Wouldn't it be lovely if awards, & jobs were just given to the best.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 3:16:22 PM
Hi curmud

"No one here gives a jot about racial mix on screens."

I do.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 3:29:24 PM
Diversity is important in any artistic medium -
especially films. How boring would films be without
diversity. We desperately need more diverse
casting, more diverse scripts, more diverse story
telling. Not the same old war films, and action/violence
on screen. We need more diverse characters - and avoidance
of stereotyping. I did not see the film, "Moonlight,"
yet. I did see "La La Land," (did not love it as I thought
I would but it was better than "Allied,"). I did see "Lion,"
(bad editing). The films I do
remember that made an impact were
because they were not only well acted,
they had darn good
scripts, and characters - and stories to tell:

1) Hotel Rwanda
2) A Time to Kill
3) In the heat of the Night
4) The Help
5) The Power of One
6) The Pursuit of Happyness
7) Dreamgirls
8) Roots
There were many others. But these will do for now.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 3:59:37 PM
Wow. The fifties are certainly alive and well. I'm puzzled how many pig-ignorant comments can be made on just the one thread, and before tea-time too.

Some of you Neanderthals need to somehow get it through your thick heads that Australia has always been 'racially' diverse. There have always been mixed marriages. And, as Darwin would suggest, they have tended to produce better-looking and more intelligent kids. Perhaps you should have tried it. Darn, too late: you're stuck with ugly, dumb kids.

Australia is mostly an urban society. In cities, people mix and match at will. There is far more of it than a generation or two ago, and a hell of a lot more of it to come. Even so, you would have been surprised how common it has always been for non-Anglo people, as minorities surrounded by an Anglo majority: there's always been a leakage away from pure mongrel-Anglo.

In most Australian states, it's never been illegal for Aboriginal people to marry non-Aboriginal people. To mix casually, yes, that has often been illegal: white blokes could be jailed for 'consorting' in SA until about 1962. But usually they were asked beforehand what their intentions were, and if they did not include marriage, they were warned off. But there were plenty of 'serious intentions'.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 4:23:06 PM
And the Oscar for Best Documentary Short goes to…”ISIS – Al Qaeda”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/and-the-oscar-for-best-documentary-short-goes-toisis-al-qaeda/5577036
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 5:01:02 PM
//I'm puzzled how many pig-ignorant comments can be made on just the one thread, and before tea-time too.//

It helps if you start drinking at lunchtime.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 28 February 2017 6:18:12 PM
I've always liked Jane Hutcheon (ABC)
See: http://janehutcheon.com/bio

...and Bill and Ben. But are they hybrids, purebreds or just GMO's ? See: www.smallfootprintfamily.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 10:02:36 AM
Hi AC,

Thanks for that pro-Assad, pro-Russian web-site. We all need to know how the enemy is thinking.

So the White Helmets are rescuing and treating people, more than eighty thousand to date, and even ISIS fighters ? Isn't that what hospitals, ambulance crews and humanitarian organisations like the Red Cross etc. are supposed to do: stay neutral in who they rescue and who they don't ?

Even Israel has been treating wounded ISIS fighters (hopefully before they take them out and shoot them: just kidding). Is that the only source of stories that Israel secretly backs ISIS ?

Anything else ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 2 March 2017 7:40:58 AM
Hey Joe,
Let me ask you a question.
Do you think when I post seemingly outrageous things that I do so ignorantly?
Or do I do it because I actually WANT someone to challenge me on that seemingly outrageous topic?
- That I can bring MORE attention to it at the expense of someone else ignorantly challenging me on it?

Well which is it?

Are you aware of the information shared by Vanessa Beeley during and after she was in Syria?
Or perhaps the the information gained by Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) when she went to Syria last year?
Have you looked George Webb's youtube video series where he looks at the people behind the White Helmets?
Do you even know what George Webb's video series is about?

How much do you actually know?
Should I post my links now or give you a chance to find out a little more on your own?

- And here I was just reading your Trump comments and quietly pleased thinking that you were really starting to get it.
Well, Life is a journey isn't it; Two steps forward, One step back.

So which side if any do you prefer in the M/E Muslim mess?
Saying you oppose Assad, could simply mean you support Wahhabists...
What's your position and why?

I've posted a lot of questions, but it's veering off topic, not really related to Patricia's article other than the Oscar win.
We can save Syria for another day, it's not going anywhere.
I suggest you do your homework, I've shown you where to look.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2017 9:11:39 AM
Hi AC,

Q1: Yes.

Q2: No.

As for my position, many times over the past three or four years, I've suggested that we need to identify who we think our worst enemy is, in such a complex situation as Syria. In my view, ISIS is the worst enemy. Therefore, the anti-ISIS forces should hold their noses and work together, democratic rebels with Assad, the Russians, the Turks, Iran, the West, etc.

Once ISIS is defeated (until its successor Islamist-fascist group comes along), then other wars can begin, democratic forces against Assad, Turkey against the Kurds, eventually Iran and Assad against Saudi Arabia, i.e. the big one: Sunni vs. Shia.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 2 March 2017 9:23:59 AM
Well, I'd like to think I'm not that careless.

The problem with it all, and what essentially makes it confusing for everyone is that what the US State Department says is often totally different to their intelligence agency objectives.
In this regard the US is much like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
I agree with you completely in getting rid of ISIS top-priority and I think the US should work with Russia and Assad to pursue those ends.
Could it be that this 'Narrative against Russia' is simply an effort to prevent Trump from concluding these wars and making peace whilst the intelligence agencies (and other parties in the conflict) objectives have not been met?
It should be noted that Syria did willingly support the US on the 'War on Terror' in Iraq.

My position is that I'm not going to support the overthrow of a democratically elected leader simply based on the rhetoric of her enemies (The West and it's allies) when its a proven fact that Syria has long been the target of US regime change anyway.
I'm not going to criticise Assad for simply trying to defend his nation against covert foreign operatives, terrorists and proxy armies seeking to overthrow him.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2017 11:06:55 AM
Hi AC,

I'm sure that Russia has done all those terrible things I mentioned, BUT if the worst enemy is ISIS, then the US and Russia and Iran and Turkey and the Saudis (yeah, right) should all hold their noses and co-operate in defeating ISIS. Then the fun can start.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 2 March 2017 11:30:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy