The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new dads are doing it better > Comments

The new dads are doing it better : Comments

By Peter West, published 3/2/2017

The contrast between the sexes can be seen early. Simon Baron Cohen says 99 per cent of girls play with dolls at age six. Barely 17 percent of boys do.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
(cont). From my generation, 1940s on, we have all worked, men and women, and all in much the same kinds of jobs: field science (eg geology), teaching, music, food and drink/catering, IT, boats, accounting - techie jobs, plus food and music. We've all restored houses, again doing the techie bits (I'm doing this now, in my 70s). There's mutual respect across generations and genders re work: as when a nephew confided in me that he enjoyed telling his fellow-students that he regularly consulted his aunt on the technicalities of GIS (google it, if you don't know; think of it as advanced map-reading, a skill we 'know' women are much worse at than men!)

From what we know about the family history, there were similar desires in earlier generations, but it was harder for women - in 1920, my grandmother, a teacher, had to resign when she got married (she'd really wanted to be a palaeontologist, actually a respected profession for women in the later 1800s, along with botany).

We are all perfectly clear who we are , male or female, but this isn't the dominating factor in our identities- we're humans first! We've had the usual percentage of marriage break-ups, but no-one, male of female, was unfairly done by. I'm not portraying us as perfection; it's just that I think more families are and always have been like us. It's just easier now, because we don't have to appear to conform to public expectations of how men and women should behave.

I think this is how one lives a happy life!
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 13 February 2017 5:06:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Cossomby

"We've had the usual percentage of marriage break-ups, but no-one, male of female, was unfairly done by."

Is that by your judgment or the judgment of each?
Posted by Roscop, Tuesday, 14 February 2017 9:56:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy